January 22, 2017

Naomi's Marriage and Sons

We saw last time that Naomi, found in the Bible Book of Ruth, could have grown up during the Exodus wanderings in the wilderness. This isn’t found in the Biblical record so we must use our imagination to figure out the timing and the possible events. In my Biblical novel Naomi’s Joy, I postulate her childhood and how she meets her husband Elimelech.
In my book, she encounters Elimelech after rescuing one of his newborn lambs and the ewe from a flooded wadi. Months later the man approaches Naomi’s brother Isaac and the betrothal and marriage are arranged.
“Finally I found my voice, “Elimelech…me.” The two stammered words were all I could force out.
“Yes, Elimelech spoke to me after the Sabbath prayers,” Isaac could no longer contain the secret…
“The betrothal will be sealed this Sabbath,” Mother interjected. “After the Passover we will hold the marriage feast.”
“So soon?” My sentence was brief when I considered how rapidly my life was changing.
“It is a shorter betrothal than many,” acknowledged the woman. “The man is lonely. He has admired you since before you rescued his sheep.”
She did not acknowledge the thought that immediately came to my mind. As soon as I was wed to Elimelech he would be responsible for my family.
Naomi is wed in the fashion of the people of Israel. In my book, she is 14 years old, a normal age to be wed. Soon she is pregnant and hopes for a son, who is born in due time. This delights her husband. In her marriage, Naomi finds the love she lost when her father died, and even starts to trust in God a little more, but not for long.
“I have a son!” Elimelech entered the tent grinning with delight. “Let me see my son!”
“He has fallen asleep,” I cautioned, holding the newborn carefully so his father could see him.
The man dropped to his knees beside my pallet. One finger stroked the soft cheek. His hand looked huge next to the tiny head.
“You have given me a son,” my reward was a kiss on the forehead.
I was happy. My husband sat beside me. Together we watched the sleeping baby.
“The great God is wonderful,” at last the man spoke. “See how perfectly my son is made. I must offer the sacrifice of thanksgiving. Our son will be blessed.”
Naomi’s son is a sickly child, in fact his name Mahlon means ‘sickly’. Naomi pours her love into the baby and later his brother Chilion. When the new baby is weak, the family fears that they have sinned.
Like Mahlon, at first the infant was slow to thrive. He was lethargic and slept much of the time. Elimelech offered a goat as propitiation.
“It may be that we have sinned somehow,” he pointed out, “and God is punishing us with weak sons.”
I wracked my brain for some trivial or large transgression. The only thing I could identify was my secret jealousy against my sisters.
“God of Israel, I am sorry that I have envied Hephzibah for her beauty and desirability,” it was a private conversation with the clouds on Sinai just before the congregation moved on toward the summer pastures in the north.
“We can no longer claim Chilion is failing. Look how plump he is.” I rejoiced with my husband only a moon turning later. “Mahlon is stronger, too. God has heard me.”
The fear that her failures bring about bad things in her life haunts Naomi for much of her life, in my book. We, too can get caught up in trying to figure out how to appease the ‘angry God’ when things go wrong. In my family, my own mother often felt she had to earn God’s love. She feared that the results of things she did, or didn’t do showed that God was angry with her. Only much later in her life does Naomi learn that God loves her and has not been punishing her at all. My mother, sadly, only had brief times in her life when she felt truly loved.
Have you ever felt that you did something to make God angry when things have gone wrong? What helped you discover that God is love, not vengeance?
For many generations women and girls were constrained by societal mores to plan on being wives and mothers first. In many cases that was the only avenue open to them. They handled household things. Men were responsible for crops and herds and business. Women who stepped outside of the norm were looked at suspiciously and sometimes labeled as harlots or ostracized. That is much less true today, which gives young women many more options. In fact, many women feel the pressure to do both career and home, and to do them perfectly. Now, those women who stay at home to care for children and husband are looked at with suspicion. Some may even be the subject of gossip that says ‘she’s just lazy’ or ‘she has no ambition’. Anyone who has raised children knows that is totally false.
As a child in the 50’s and 60’s, I found myself caught in the whirlpool of the Women’s Rights movement as I came to young adulthood. I found myself torn between the ‘good old’ attitude that being a home-body wife and mother was best, and the ‘new’ understanding that a woman could be anything she wanted. I opted for the traditional role and only gradually eased into the workplace. However, my choice was not without some soul searching and ‘what if’ questions to myself.
Look back at your own teen and young adult years. Were you influenced by societal expectations to marry? Did you have the option to choose career or marriage? Have you felt pressure to do everything to have the approval of family and/or society?
Next time, we will meet Naomi both in the words of the Book of Ruth, and in the novel Naomi’s Joy as she and her family move to Moab. There Mahlon and Chilion will find wives. 

Easter 4: Empty tomb and Good Shepherd

 We are praying our way through the Easter season—the Great 50 Days between Easter and Pentecost—by considering Jesus’ post-Resurrection app...