January 15, 2017

Naomi's Childhood and Faith

Today we are starting a new series. For the season of Epiphany-from now until the end of February, we’ll be studying the Book of Ruth in the Bible. I’ll also be using insights I gained while writing my book Naomi’s Joy.
The Biblical Book of Ruth comes right after the Book of Judges, and is set “in the days when the judges ruled”. We don’t get much ‘back story’ because the Book of Ruth jumps right in to tell us “there was a famine in the land, and a certain man of Bethlehem in Judah went to sojourn in the country of Moab, he and his wife and his two sons.” So, for the first couple of weeks, we’ll have to depend on our imaginations to fill in the blanks that the Bible author didn’t think were important.
In my novel, Naomi’s Joy, Naomi’s childhood takes place during the Exodus wanderings. Because the Judges of Israel were the leaders of the people after the Exodus ended with the Conquest of Jericho and Canaan, it seems logical that she would have grown up during the 40 years of travel. She experienced the annual visits to Mt. Sanai and the nomadic life of the people as they moved their flocks and herds from pasture to pasture.
In my story, her father is one of the ones who dies when the people rebel and are bitten by the snakes. (Numbers 21:5-9) Naomi says, “Some were saved by that bronze image. Still, for many more, like my father, it was too late. We left their graves behind when we moved on. Care of my siblings fell to me. My mother was too broken by her grief to tend us. Even though I never dared tell anyone my secret, I knew that the hand of God was against me.”
We are formed by our childhoods. In my novel, Naomi is 12 years old when her father dies. After seeing her father’s death, she turns to attempting to earn God’s favor by complete and fear-filled obedience.
Are there things in your childhood that affect how you view God and faith? Some of us have a problem with identifying God as ‘Father’ because of poor or abusive parenting by their own father. Some cannot trust anyone, even God, because of betrayals in their childhood. Others have no difficulty trusting and calling God Father, or Abba or Daddy. They were blessed with a supportive and loving human father.
My own childhood was secure under the control of my father. However, he had issues with church and trust because of his own upbringing. That resulted in very little church attendance as I grew up. My grandmother, however, showered me with Bible story books, so I gained an undergirding of those stories even without Sunday School. I was an avid reader and devoured all the books she sent. Years later when I was asked to teach Sunday School myself, I was fast friends with the characters and stories and easily translated them into flannel board and puppet lessons for the Pre-schoolers. Still later, those same stories became the root of the Biblical novels I write.
Take a little time to remember your own childhood faith experiences, or lack of them. How did God find you and how did you find God as a child, or later? Can you see how your experiences as a child might influence your relationship with God and the church and faith?

Next time, we’ll enter Naomi’s world as she becomes a wife and mother. 

Easter 4: Empty tomb and Good Shepherd

 We are praying our way through the Easter season—the Great 50 Days between Easter and Pentecost—by considering Jesus’ post-Resurrection app...