December 25, 2011

Unto Us a Child is Born

Merry Christmas. We have reached the high point of our Advent journey together!


During this six-week blog-study we’ve been unpacking the story of the Nativity with reference to scripture (the Gospel of Luke) and snippets from Mary, My Love by Cynthia Davis. You do not have to have read the book to enjoy the blog. If you do want to order a copy, email me.

Luke tells us “In that region there were shepherds living in the fields, keeping watch over their flock by night. Then an angel of the Lord stood before them, and the glory of the Lord shone around them, and they were terrified. But the angel said to them, ‘Do not be afraid; for see—I am bringing you good news of great joy for all the people: to you is born this day in the city of David a Saviour, who is the Messiah, the Lord. This will be a sign for you: you will find a child wrapped in bands of cloth and lying in a manger.’ And suddenly there was with the angel a multitude of the heavenly host, praising God and saying, ‘Glory to God in the highest heaven, and on earth peace among those whom he favors!’ When the angels had left them and gone into heaven, the shepherds said to one another, ‘Let us go now to Bethlehem and see this thing that has taken place, which the Lord has made known to us.’ So they went with haste and found Mary and Joseph, and the child lying in the manger. When they saw this, they made known what had been told them about this child; and all who heard it were amazed at what the shepherds told them. But Mary treasured all these words and pondered them in her heart. The shepherds returned, glorifying and praising God for all they had heard and seen, as it had been told them.” (Luke 2:8-20)

Handel’s Messiah shouts the news triumphantly, even though the real birth was barely noticed. “For unto us a Child is born, unto us a Son is given, and the government shall be upon His shoulder; and his name shall be called Wonderful, Counsellor, the Mighty God, the Everlasting Father, the Prince of Peace.” The words are from Isaiah 9:6. The scene has been a favorite of artists, like this 17th century rendition by Abraham Bloemaert.

Luke says that “Mary treasured all these words and pondered them in her heart.” For Joseph, (In Mary, My Love) the visit of the shepherds had the effect of reaffirming for him that he was, in fact, living into his call-into God’s plan for his life:

“Why did you choose me, a humble carpenter of Nazareth, to be father of this child? What can I give him? Messiah should be clothed in purple and live in a palace.” I whispered my nagging question into the silence.
Eventually I drifted to sleep no closer to an answer than any time in the past nine months. Voices roused me. For a moment I was disoriented. Then I remembered the stable, the birth, and the visit of the shepherds. They were back, joyfully celebrating and praising God. Somewhere a skin of the local wine had been obtained.
“To the father!” The tall shepherd, a little unsteadily, raised the skin to his lips and then offered it to me.
The rest gathered around me with more congratulations as I took a drink.
“God truly is wonderful!”
“Messiah is announced to shepherds!”
“Always it is to the humble and lowly that God reveals His works,” Jediah announced.
He was not drunk except with peace and joy.
“What did you say?” I stared at the man in amazement.
“It is not the proud or mighty who see the Hand of God. We who are poor and humble are the ones who know God.”…
Mary called me from my reverie. Hastily I entered the cave. My wife sat on the bed of blankets and straw Elam and I had prepared the night before. The baby slept in the food trough carved in the cave wall. More straw and blankets made a cozy nest. With her hair loose around her shoulders, Mary looked more like a child than a woman who had recently given birth.
“Yes, my love, did we awaken you?”
A warm smile softened the young face even more. Then she looked serious. Mary leaned over the infant and kissed his cheek, gathering the little body into her arms.
“Your aunt is only the first to doubt that Jeshua is Messiah. You and I and Jediah have the words of angels to reassure us. But, he is so ordinary, just as Rachel said.”
When the woman looked up, I saw disappointment and even doubt in her eyes. Tears brimmed and threatened to spill over. Dropping to my knees beside my wife, I gathered her reverently and gently into my arms. My lips touched the baby’s forehead. I held my family in silence trying to find an answer. Jediah’s words came back to me.
“I think the old shepherd was right,” I faltered, trying to explain my insight. “The God of our Fathers reveals himself in unexpected ways. Yahweh uses the ordinary to show his power and glory. Jediah mentioned Gideon, David, Moses and Joseph as examples of ordinary men used by the God of Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob. This stable is perhaps the most fitting place of all for Messiah to be born, among the people where God has always sought to dwell.”
“Yes, my husband. It is in the commonplace that God is present.” Confidence was back in Mary’s voice and she smiled up at me. “Stars and sand were signs of the promises to Abraham. Esther was not born to be a queen, yet she was raised up and saved her people. This child is indeed the Son of the Most High. The shepherds were sent to affirm that to us so we would not doubt.”
“Truly God has blessed us,” I agreed.
I held my wife and child as the darkness outside the stable lightened into day. When the baby stirred and whimpered, Mary roused from her doze to offer her breast. I rose to say my morning prayers from the entrance of the cave. My heart was full of praise.
“God of Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob, blessed are you, awesome and mighty are your deeds. In the common is found the holy. In the ordinary is your hand, Creator of the Universe. Praise to you, O God.”

God offers hope and encouragement when we need it, often it is only after we allow God to be God. Our ministry will have ups and downs, we only need to trust that God is present through it all.

May your Christmas Day and Christmas season be blessed. May your ministry and call be affirmed as you celebrate the birth of our Lord Jesus Christ in a manger in Bethlehem.

Next week we’ll take one final look at the Nativity story and living into our call from God.

Easter 4: Empty tomb and Good Shepherd

 We are praying our way through the Easter season—the Great 50 Days between Easter and Pentecost—by considering Jesus’ post-Resurrection app...