December 18, 2011

Discouragement Happens

During this six-week blog-study we’re be unpacking the story of the Nativity with reference to scripture (the Gospel of Luke) and snippets from Mary, My Love by Cynthia Davis. You do not have to have read the book to enjoy the blog. If you do want to order a copy, email me.


The first week of Advent we saw Mary accepting the call of God on her life. Then we met Joseph. His acceptance of his call to be Mary’s husband seems small, but was vitally important. Last time we explored how essential it is to have friends who offer support to our call and ministry like Mary and Elizabeth did for each other.

Mary and Joseph settled into their life as a married couple expecting a baby. Their plans for a normal life were shattered by the Roman demand for a census. In just 5 verses Luke tells us of the upheaval of their lives. “In those days a decree went out from Emperor Augustus that all the world should be registered. This was the first registration and was taken while Quirinius was governor of Syria. All went to their own towns to be registered. Joseph also went from the town of Nazareth in Galilee to Judea, to the city of David called Bethlehem, because he was descended from the house and family of David. He went to be registered with Mary, to whom he was engaged and who was expecting a child.” (Luke 2:1-5)

Joseph and Mary surely expected the Child to be born in Nazareth where they lived. Those who have heard the Christmas story, know otherwise. The Roman demand for a census meant that despite being close to her delivery time, Mary had to travel with Joseph to the City of David-Bethlehem. “While they were there, the time came for her to deliver her child. And she gave birth to her firstborn son and wrapped him in bands of cloth, and laid him in a manger, because there was no place for them in the inn.” (Luke 6-7)

We have probably all felt that sense of discouragement when we were sure we were following God’s call, but things aren’t working out as we expected. Like Jeremiah we heard God’s voice loud and clear saying, “I appointed you a prophet to the nations” and the next thing we know, we are in a mud pit. Jeremiah warned the king and people that they would die by sword and famine. This made the leaders fearful and angry. “So they took Jeremiah and cast him into the cistern of Malchiah, the king’s son, which was in the court of the guard, letting Jeremiah down by ropes. And there was no water in the cistern, but only mire, and Jeremiah sank in the mire.” (Jeremiah 38:6) He was stuck there, literally, until the king relented and had him pulled out.

Discouragement met Joseph, not in the form of a muddy pit, but in a cave at Bethlehem. This is how it happens in Mary, My Love. He and Mary arrive and cannot find a place to stay even with his aunt.

I held my breath as she muttered to herself. “All the regular inns are full. The home of Isaac bar Ephraim is taken. Miriam, wife of Zedekiah, has filled her home as has Simon bar Dan.”
“What of Uziah or Nahum?”
The old man’s suggestions were met with negative movements of the woman’s head. She squinted and gazed around the courtyard seeking a solution. My guide continued to offer names. Each was met with a shake of the head. Finally she turned back at a small cry from Mary.
Reaching a decision, she nodded, “It might serve. At least it will be private and quiet and dry.”
Torn between irritation at our talkative guide, who still suggested fellow villagers as hosts, and concern for my wife’s condition, I was less than polite.
“Yes, where is it?”
Rachel responded with a vague gesture toward the rocks at the back of the house, “It is the cave against the hill. We use it to shelter the ewes in the early spring when they are lambing. I am sure Perez has cleaned it…”
“A stable!” I interrupted angrily.
Mary placed a hand on my shoulder. “I am sure it will be fine.”
Her words ended with a sharp intake of air as another pain grabbed my wife.
“It is settled then. Elam!” Turning quickly for such a large woman, she called for her son. The lad scampered over.
“This is your cousin…”
“Joseph bar Jacob.” I supplied my name through clenched teeth.
Further delay was unnecessary. I wanted to get Mary settled somewhere and find a midwife. My heart pounded with fear. A brief nod from Rachel acknowledged my name.
“Take them to the lambing cave. Get fresh straw for a bed and bring water and fodder.”
Orders complete, the woman turned to go. Feeling churlish, I held out my hand to stop my aunt.
“Wait. Thank you for your help.”
“Yes, yes, let it never be said that Rachel, wife of Perez bar Mattat turned away a kinsman or woman,” she added, glancing at Mary.
“Where can I find a midwife?”
Another gasp from my wife warned me that time was short.
“I will send for her and come myself as soon as I can.”
With that assurance, I had to be satisfied. Moving away, my aunt reminded me of the ship in full sail I saw once in Tyre. She strode across the courtyard dropping orders right and left. …
Elam led the way through the many animals. Camels grudgingly moved aside when the boy shouted at them. A couple of donkeys barely shifted as they eyed the new arrival walking past. Chickens scattered with great clucking and a cow decided to follow us. We went past the house and up a small incline, then back down. The path led to a round opening in the rock. With the ease of familiarity, the boy located a lamp and struck a flint. The small flame flared and settled into a steady glow.
“This way,” Elam gestured and led us into the cave.
Mary leaned heavily on me and walked slowly. I had to bend to enter. Once inside I was pleasantly surprised. A decent sized room was hollowed out of the rock. Several mangers were chipped out of the walls. Low wooden partitions divided the space into separate pens. …
“Help me up. I must prepare the swaddling clothes myself.”
A gasp shortened her planning. Gently I pushed her back down.
“Tell me what to do. You, um…, rest.”
I was embarrassed by the situation. Men should not attend a woman in childbirth, but I had no choice. I had seen animals born and even helped Balaam into the world when he was too slow. The memory of the wet, spindly, weak-kneed donkey foal was not much comfort now even when the animal looked my way with big brown eyes.
“Blankets and the swaddling clothes are in the bag.”
Glad for something to do, I unpacked the faithful little beast. I tossed the saddle into the corner, followed by my tools. I carried Mary’s bundle to her side. When I unrolled it, she showed me which items were needed. Every time the contractions came, she grabbed my arm with surprising strength. The woman scanned the cave obviously looking for something. Anxiously I bent over my bride.
“What is it? What do you need, my love?”
I thought she flushed in the lamplight, before she met my eyes.
“When the baby comes, I will need something to balance against since we have no birthing stool.”
My confusion must have shown in my face.
“I cannot give birth lying down,” she explained patiently. “A woman squats to deliver a child.”
“I will hold you,” I declared, sure it was something I could handle.
She shook her head with a forced smile, “Joseph, my dearest husband, you will have to receive the baby.”
Another, longer contraction interrupted our conversation.
I said hopefully, “Surely Rachel or the midwife will arrive before then.”
“I think the child will be born very soon,” my wife panted. She closed her eyes and steadied her breathing.
Silently I called out to God. “Why are you doing this? The Son of God, Messiah, should not be born in a stable with only a man to assist. Send help,” I pleaded. “Mary deserves better than this!”

Joseph turns to God in doubt and despair because nothing is working out as he expected. When we are discouraged, we focus on the negatives. We forget that God is in charge. In Romans 8:37, Paul reminds us “in all things we are more than conquerors through him who loved us.” Like this “Knots Prayer” says we must then ask God to “untie the knots” and the ‘nots’ so we can see that God is at work.

When our ministry plans don’t fall into place, God has something infinitely better planned. However, it’s not easy to look beyond what seems like a wall in front of us to find the window. In the Sound of Music, Maria has to reevaluate her call to ministry. Mother Superior tells her “when God closes a door He opens a window” and reminds her that she must “climb every mountain…until you find your dream.” Our call is the dream God has for us. Mary and Elizabeth believed the angels’ messages and embraced their Call. I more often feel like Joseph when God moves me to ministry-hoping I am doing the right thing and going in the right direction. Joseph struggled with his part in the plan of God-his call, esp. when it didn't fit his preconceived ideas of the 'proper order' of things, like the birth of a baby.

Have you ever felt discouragement, disappointment or disillusionment when your plans for the ministry don’t fall into place? How did you cope? Did you give up or regroup?

PRAYER
Lord, help me look to you when I am discouraged or feel that I'm not following your call. You make us conquerors and provide windows of opportunity. Let me look for your guidance each day. AMEN.

Next week we will look at how Joseph (and Mary) were affirmed in their faith, even though (or perhaps because) the Child was born in a manger.

Easter 4: Empty tomb and Good Shepherd

 We are praying our way through the Easter season—the Great 50 Days between Easter and Pentecost—by considering Jesus’ post-Resurrection app...