April 21, 2024

Easter 4: Empty tomb and Good Shepherd

 We are praying our way through the Easter season—the Great 50 Days between Easter and Pentecost—by considering Jesus’ post-Resurrection appearances. We looked at Jesus’ love for Thomas; which met Thomas where he was in his hurt and doubt. Last week we considered how Jesus doesn’t show up just when we expect and are ready for him, but is always present, “in our midst,” even if we metaphorically try to lock the doors.

Today, we return to the Easter morning events found in Luke 24:1-12. The women come to the tomb with the spices they had prepared [for the burial rites]. Instead of Jesus in a sealed tomb, they find the stone rolled away and two men in dazzling clothes. In amazement, Mary Magdalene, Joanna, Mary the mother of James, and the other women, tell the disciples Jesus is risen. The men don’t believe them. The only one who responds is Peter who got up and ran to the tomb; stooping and looking in, he saw the linen cloths by themselves; then he went home, amazed at what had happened. The Resurrection window in the sacristy of the Cathedral of St. John, Albuquerque, NM depicts this event in stunning color.

The women and Peter are amazed by the Resurrection. Of course they are. Such a thing has never happened before. The women, in Luke’s account, don’t see Jesus. They encounter two men in dazzling clothes who remind them that Jesus told them this would happen. Why do you look for the living among the dead? He is not here, but has risen. Remember how he told you, while he was still in Galilee, that the Son of Man must be handed over to sinners, and be crucified, and on the third day rise again. Even without a ‘Jesus sighting,’ the women believe.

Unlike Thomas who needs a physical touch and the disciples who need to see Jesus eating to recognize that he is alive, the women accept the angels’ announcement. Then they run to tell their friends.

How often do we hesitate to tell about something amazing God has done in our life? What are some of the ‘resurrections’ in your life? Who might you tell?

 The Gospel for Sunday (John 10:11-18) is one of the times Jesus foretells his death and resurrection. It is also one of the "I am" statements Jesus makes (along with Light, Bread, Life, Vine). He says, I am the good shepherd. The good shepherd lays down his life for the sheep…I know my own and my own know me, just as the Father knows me and I know the Father. And I lay down my life for the sheep…there will be one flock, one shepherd…I lay [my life] down of my own accord. I have power to lay it down, and I have power to take it up again. I have received this command from my Father.

How can we welcome others into the one fold? Are there invisible walls we have erected by our actions or words that keep some ‘sheep’ out?

Jesus uses the analogy of a shepherd. This would have been familiar to the audience in First Century Israel. It’s not as easy for us to relate to. We might think of first responders running toward danger, or a parent protecting their child, or even a wild animal protecting their young. Psalm 23, also for this Sunday, says, The Lord is my Shepherd…he restores my soul…even though I walk through the valley of death, I will not fear. Jesus says, I lay [my life] down of my own accord to create one flock, one shepherd. It is our duty and call to continue to work of building that ‘beloved community.’

When we allow God, our Good Shepherd to be the path, we can feel secure even in the time we find it hard to recognize that Jesus is present. Present in the empty tomb and lost hopes, present in sorrow and in joy, present when we feel distant. God’s love and shepherding will always be with and for us.

Who might you remind of that good news?

Easter 5: True Vine and Pruning

  This week, we continue our exploration of the post-Resurrection appearances of Jesus. Today we look at one of the earliest and most famili...