November 5, 2023

Pentecost 23: Psalm 43: Exiled

 Over the course of this year, we’ve looked at many Psalms and themes. We’ve seen God’s interactions with humanity and creation as a Relationship (Feb. 5) of Hope (Mar. 26). God’s Call (June 11 entails Freedom (July 9) and requires us to Listen (July 23). As we deepen our understanding, we find that all are Included (Aug. 20) and Chosen (Oct. 15).

The current world situation of wars and violence in so many places may make us question our faith, though. We can feel like God has exiled us, like the ancient Hebrew people from the things we find comforting and certain. How can God allow such awful things to happen? Why would a loving God let pain and death seem to triumph?  The lessons this week ask and answer those questions in their own way.

Micah (3:5-12) warns the leaders of his time, and ours, of the results of action taken for the wrong reason, even while claiming to do God’s will. Micah calls out those who give judgment for a bribe, its priests teach for a price, its prophets give oracles for money; yet they lean upon the Lord and say, “Surely the Lord is with us! Micah states, I am filled with power, with the spirit of the Lord, and with justice and might, to declare to Jacob his transgression and to Israel his sin. Maybe we need to consider times when we've claimed 'God's will' on something that wasn't sharing of God's love, and was really 'my way' cloaked in religious claims... 

Jesus’ words carry a similar warning in the Gospel (Matthew 23:1-12). He says, the scribes and the Pharisees sit on Moses’ seat; therefore, do whatever they teach you and follow it; but do not do as they do, for they do not practice what they teach. Jesus reminds his followers, and us, the greatest among you will be your servant. All who exalt themselves will be humbled, and all who humble themselves will be exalted. It is far easier to give orders, than to be humble and serve in love. It is easier to say we know God's will than to take the time to discern the next step. 

The Epistle reading (1 Thessalonians 2:9-13) tells of a more grace-filled response from the people of Thessalonica. Paul notes, when you received the word of God that you heard from us, you accepted it not as a human word but as what it really is, God’s word, which is also at work in you believers. The Greeks responded in with faith, while the religious leaders of Jesus’ and Micah’s time did not. These early Christians took time to internalize the message of God's love. 

Psalm 43 cries out for God to hear and give justice. We might echo that call. The Psalmist begs to be delivered from the deceitful and the wicked, then turns to God who is strength, light, and truth. At the end, the Psalmist affirms I will put my hope in God, and once again I will praise him, my savior and my God. Turning to God when we are confused, grieving, afraid, or just sad is always a good strategy. 

The Good News Translation calls this Psalm “The Prayer of Someone in Exile.” With so many refugees from wars and famine and other desolations, we could pray this in solidarity with each of them, feeling some of their pain and grief. In our own fears and uncertainties and griefs, we can pray this Psalm knowing that ultimately God will triumph and bring me to your holy hill.

There is a beautiful church and shrine in Hubertus, WI which my husband and I visited a decade ago. This image from the tower reminds me that what we see and think we know is just a small part of the whole story. We need to lean past the walls of our pre-conceptions to see more of the view. When we look around, we can see God's love surrounding and in us. Learn more about the Holy Hill Basilica and Shrine here. https://www.holyhill.com/


It would be far to easy to draw parallels to leaders in the current world situations and ignore our own faults and failings. We would be wise to ask ourselves some questions.

Do I feel in exile in my faith? Can looking at the broader picture of God's love help me?

Where have I failed to have compassion for the pain of anyone, friend or not, who I don’t know or don’t understand?

Can I pray Psalm 43 this week in solidarity with all who are in pain, fear, or exile?

Psalm 43

1 Give judgment for me, O God, and defend my cause against an ungodly people; deliver me from the deceitful and the wicked.
2 For you are the God of my strength, why have you put me from you? and why do I go so heavily while the enemy oppresses me?
3 Send out your light and your truth, that they may lead me, and bring me to your holy hill and to your dwelling;
4 That I may go to the altar of God, to the God of my joy and gladness; and on the harp I will give thanks to you, O God my God.
5 Why are you so full of heaviness, O my soul? and why are you so disquieted within me?
6 Put your trust in God; for I will yet give thanks to him, who is the help of my countenance, and my God.

(Book of Common Prayer)

 

O God, declare me innocent, and defend my cause against the ungodly; deliver me from lying and evil people!
You are my protector; why have you abandoned me? Why must I go on suffering from the cruelty of my enemies?
Send your light and your truth; may they lead me and bring me back to Zion, your sacred hill, and to your Temple, where you live.
Then I will go to your altar, O God; you are the source of my happiness. will play my harp and sing praise to you, O God, my God.
Why am I so sad? Why am I so troubled?
I will put my hope in God, and once again I will praise him, my savior and my God.

(Good News Translation)

Easter 5: True Vine and Pruning

  This week, we continue our exploration of the post-Resurrection appearances of Jesus. Today we look at one of the earliest and most famili...