February 10, 2019

Epiphany: Turn


Welcome to the Fifth Sunday after Epiphany and our sixth step on the Way of Love journey. There are only a couple of weeks left of the liturgical season of Epiphany. Then comes Ash Wednesday on March 6, and Lent.

Today’s discipline on the Way of Love might seem more suited to Lent. We are called to Turn. What does it mean to Turn? The 1972 pop song by Pete Seger Turn, Turn, Turn, based on Ecclesiastes 3 suggests that “To everything/Turn, turn, turn/There is a season/Turn, turn, turn.” The song and Ecclesiastes chapter 3 both insist, “There is a time for everything, and a season for every activity under the heavens.” They would suggest that everything that goes around comes around, and around, and around.

But is that what the Way of Love means by Turn? In the Gospel for the Fifth Sunday after Epiphany (Luke 15:1-11) we hear of Simon Peter’s encounter with Jesus. Because of the crowd, Jesus “got into one of the boats, the one belonging to Simon, and asked him to put out a little way from the shore. Then he sat down and taught the crowds from the boat.”

This seems like the normal activity for a traveling rabbi. Teaching is, after all, his job. However, after “he had finished speaking, [Jesus] said to Simon, ‘Put out into the deep water and let down your nets for a catch.’"

This is not in a rabbi's job description, and Simon (Peter) argues, before agreeing. "Master, we have worked all night long but have caught nothing. Yet if you say so, I will let down the nets." Then something amazing, or even miraculous, happens. “They caught so many fish that their nets were beginning to break…and [they] filled both boats, so that they began to sink.”

Imagine for just a moment that you are in one of the boats. Just a few hours earlier, when the fish should have been present, there was nothing. Now in the heat of the day, when the fish normally aren’t near the surface, there are so many that the boats and nets are overwhelmed. It is no wonder “Simon Peter...fell down at Jesus' knees, saying, ‘Go away from me, Lord, for I am a sinful man!’”

This is the type of Turn that Jesus calls us to. When we realize that we are unworthy, immediately we hear, “Do not be afraid.” We Turn, we are reassured, then we are given a job to do for the Kingdom-for the Way of Love. We make a U-turn from our old self and follow the new way. And, for most of us, we do it many times a day, day after day. As the song says "Turn, Turn, Turn". 

Peter, James, and John were told, “’from now on you will be catching people.’ When they had brought their boats to shore, they left everything and followed him.” Each of us is also called to ‘catch people’ in a variety of ways. We can only do that after we Turn to God.

In her book True You: Letting Go of your False Self to Uncover the Person God Created, Michelle DeRusha is quoted in Life for Leaders as saying, “How can I know where I’m going or what I should do if I don’t know who I am? And how do I know who I am if I don’t know who God is? The reason I’m not clear on what to do (my calling) is because I don’t truly know who I am—my authentic self—and the reason I don’t know who I am is because I don’t truly know God in a deep and intimate way. In fact, I don’t know if I know God at all. I don’t know ‘the hope he has called me to’ [Eph. 1:18] because I don’t know him.”  

Until we Turn, look at ourselves, and esp. at our relationship with God, we cannot truly follow. There is indeed, as Ecclesiastes says, “A time for every purpose under heaven”. We each have a part of that purpose to live out
The Rev. George A. Studdart-Kennedy, a WWI chaplain, wrote the poem Well, in which soldier dreams of having died and meeting God. After being confronted with images of his life, the soldier realizes:

“It seemed to me as though 'Is face, Were millions rolled in one.
…'Twere all men's face yet no man's face, And a face no man can see,
And it seemed to say in silent speech, 'Ye did 'em all to me.
…'For all their souls were mine…'
And then at last 'E said one word,…'Well?'
And I said in a funny voice, 'Please can I go to 'Ell?'
And 'E stood there and looked at me,…And then 'E answered 'No
'You can't…'You know that you 'ave earned it, lad, 'So you must follow me.
'Follow me on by the paths o' pain, 'Seeking what you 'ave seen,
'Until at last you can build the "Is," 'Wi' the bricks o' the "Might 'ave been."'

The soldier recognizes his failure, and then is called to ‘build the ‘IS’”. We are also called to Turn and build the ‘Is’, the ‘Now’, the Kingdom of God!

God allows U-turns. Do you need to make one?

Have you felt God’s tell you to ‘do not be afraid’ and allow you to Turn and start again?

Is there a purpose you think you need to Turn to do?

Easter 4: Empty tomb and Good Shepherd

 We are praying our way through the Easter season—the Great 50 Days between Easter and Pentecost—by considering Jesus’ post-Resurrection app...