December 10, 2017

Advent Journey to Bethlehem: On the Road


This Advent we are going along with Mary and Joseph on their Journey to Bethlehem. Last week we looked at what they might have packed, and what spiritual things we might pack for an Advent journey. Did you decide that there were things you really needed to take along and others that you could do without? For me, I’m trying a day without internet as part of the journey.

This week, we’ll look at the journey itself. According to the experts, there are a couple of possible routes, both of which make a trek from Nazareth through the Valley of Jezreel, down to the Jordan. Some scholars suggest that the couple crossed the Jordan and continued on the eastern side, crossing back at Jericho. Others insist that they stayed on the west side of the Jordan down to Jericho before turning southwest toward Jerusalem and Bethlehem. Of course, if you look at a map, the most direct route would be straight south from Nazareth. However, that road would have gone through Samaria and most Jews avoided traveling in Samaria.
In any case, the trip was about 100 miles on foot, and/or on donkey. This means it would have been from 8-10 days of walking. It is very likely that the pair traveled with a caravan since it was unsafe to be on the roads alone. With so many people traveling to their home towns it was probably easy to find someone to go with. Even in a caravan it would have been a difficult journey for a pregnant woman.

Amy Grant sings Mary’s Song that highlights Mary’s confusion and longing on her journey. “I have traveled many moonless nights/Cold and weary with a babe inside/And I wonder what I've done/Holy Father you have come/And chosen me now/To carry your son.” The song continues as she sings, “I am frightened by the load I bear/In a world as cold as stone/Must I walk this path alone/Be with me now”

Like Mary we are Christ-bearers in a ‘world as cold as stone’. As we travel through Advent this year, we may also find that it’s not an easy trip. The holidays can bring up old memories that may not be hurtful or sad. The 4-week trek can seem very long when all around people are acting joyful and carefree. We can be under pressure to pretend that we are cheerful, too.

St. Paul notes that the Christian journey itself is not always easy. He says, “I have traveled many weary miles. I have faced danger from flooded rivers and from robbers. I have faced danger from my own people, the Jews, as well as from the Gentiles. I have faced danger in the cities, in the deserts, and on the stormy seas. And I have faced danger from men who claim to be Christians but are not.” (2 Corinthians 11:26).

It is OK to not conform to the secular, hectic pace of the season. It is fine to seek reflective time to deal with your feelings, whether they are happy or not. Are you on a difficult journey this Advent? Can you find someone to walk with you on your Advent trip?

Sometimes it helps to have a friend to talk to and share the feelings with. Jesus promises that “when 2 or 3 are gathered together” that God is there. (Matthew 18:20) Meet with a trusted friend and invite Jesus into the conversation.

Like Mary we can come to realize that we are not alone. As Amy Grant sings, it is the “Breath of heaven” with us always. With Mary (and Amy) we can pray, “Hold me together/Be forever near me/Lighten my darkness/Pour over me your holiness/For you are holy/Breath of heaven”

Whether your Advent road is smooth or rocky this year, remember it is just part of the total journey of your life that is full of twists and turns. I was recently reminded that our faith journey, in fact, is much more like a labyrinth with it’s twists and U-turns, than a straight road from birth to death. Through it all, we are called to bear Christ to the world that is dark and longing. 
Take time to pause and consider where you are on your journey, and enjoy the trip. Next week, we’ll look at what might have happened when the travelers reached their destination.

Palm Sunday

 We are almost at the end of Lent. We’ve traveled through the 40 days and through the promises of the Baptismal Covenant found in the Episco...