May 7, 2017

Sarah: Nothing is Impossible

In the past couple of weeks since Easter, we have ‘heard’ women of the Old Testament share their stories. We have heard how God loves us through our ‘what ifs’ and provides a new promise when things look really scary, and everything you know has washed away. Sometimes the answering of an impossible prayer is how God responds to our needs. Sarah speaks to us from her life:

I was born in Haran. When I was old enough, my father gave me in marriage to my half-brother Abram. It wasn’t long after that when Abram told us all that he knew Elohim, the Living God, had told him to leave Haran. We all argued with him. I was full of questions and arguments.
“How can you want to leave all we have ever known? How can you ask me to leave my family and friends? You don’t even know where you are going. The people are strange to us. It could be dangerous. Our father will never know the joy of holding our children if we leave.”
If I thought any of my words would have any affect, I was wrong. The man simply smiled and assured us all, “The Living God will provide a way in the wilderness. Remember how our Grandfather left Ur to come here? This is just another part of that journey.”
Of course I had no choice. When Abram was ready, I followed him down the road out of Haran. Our father walked slowly beside us to the edge of town. There he embraced us and turned back. I felt tears welling in my eyes. They spilled over when the old man turned back.
“May the God of my father, whom you follow, go with you and bless you and give you sons and daughters.”
I shed many more tears over the years that followed. There were no children at our tent doors. The Living God spoke to Abram, promising him offspring and even changing his name from Abram to Abraham. The new name felt like a knife in my heart because I was barren and could not be the instrument to make him the ‘father of many’ as the name indicated.  
I knew I was cursed because I had doubted Abram’s call from God, and now I was past the age of child bearing. My monthly cycles had ended. There was nothing left for me but to dry up and die like a desert weed. In desperation, I allowed my Egyptian slave girl to bear a son with Abram. It was a custom of the people we lived among and one that Hagar was familiar with, too.
“At least he will have an heir of some sort,” I tried to comfort myself as I watched her belly and attitude swelling.
Ishmael was born, a strong and healthy boy. Hagar’s pride knew no bounds. I spent most of my days in the tent weaving furiously so that I didn’t have to watch Abram playing with the baby. Most of the time I could barely see the cloth for the tears rimming my eyes.
One day Abram welcomed three strangers to our tent. We were pasturing the flocks near Mamre. As usual, I was in the tent. I heard Abraham greet someone.
My husband spoke the standard desert greeting, “Let water be brought to wash your feet. Rest here and I will bring bread.”
“Make three cakes of fine flour. I will prepare a calf as well,” my husband told me as he rushed through the tent.
He did not see my astonished expression. I peeked out at our guests wondering who they were to merit such regal treatment. To my eyes, there was nothing surprising or special about them. To please Abraham, I made my special cakes, which were usually reserved for feast days.
I lingered near the tent opening when Abraham returned and served his guests. I heard one ask “Where is your wife, Sarah?”
My eyes opened wide in astonishment. How could these strangers know my name?
Abraham shrugged toward the tent, “She is there in the tent.”
“I will return to you at the right time, and Sarah shall bear a son.” The stranger’s audacious statement made me gasp and then chuckle in derision.
“Am I to have the joy of a child now that I am old?” I felt my lip curl slightly, even as tears blurred my eyes and a strange hope struggled in my heart.
The stranger could not have heard me, but he said, “Why did Sarah laugh and say, ‘Shall I bear a child at my age?’ Is anything to wonderful for the Living God? I will return to you and Sarah will have a son.”
“I didn’t laugh,” the whispered denial was almost drowned by the frightened pounding of my heart.
The stranger smiled in the direction of the tent. It was a tender and understanding expression as he nodded, “Yes, you laughed.”
Soon the trio and Abraham walked away from the tent. I was left with a tumult of thoughts. Uppermost was an almost unbearable feeling of hope.
“Could it be true?” I asked myself again and again. I even asked Abraham.
“The Living God has promised to give you a son,” he responded as if it was the most natural thing in the world for a 99 year-old woman to have a baby.
When my body began to change, I remained hidden. I was not prepared to answer questions about how such a miracle could happen. Slowly I gained the confidence, and faith, to accept the reality that I would be a mother. The women of the camp rejoiced with me when I finally admitted that I was pregnant.  
After 9 months, a son was born. Abraham named him Isaac, a reminder of both my laughter at the promise, and the joy the child brought to our lives.
“Who could have guessed that Sarah would nurse a child? I have born a son to my husband in his old age.” I laughed and rejoiced with the man.
“There is nothing impossible for the Living God,” agreed Abraham.

Has there been a time in your life when you doubted that something would happen?
How has God kept a promise to you?  

(Image: 'The Hospitality of Abraham', 13th Century Byzantine Icon)
(c) Cynthia Davis 2017 


Easter 3: A Ghost?

  Welcome to Easter-tide or the Great 50 Days of Easter. We’re looking at some of the post-Resurrection meetings by Jesus and his followers....