July 17, 2016

Loving One Another in Word

We have just started a series about ways to live out the Blessing of God’s love and share it with others. It would seem that in a world apparently going crazy, that sharing God’s love is more important than ever. Last week I suggested that a note to someone is one way to brighten a day.
Another is to actually speak words of Grace to someone. Tell them how much they mean to you, or how something they did touched you. For instance, the friend who wrote the card to me might never know how much it meant to me unless I mention it to her. My husband might not know how important his simple act of cleaning the cat’s box is unless I tell him. A priest or pastor might not know that her sermon touched me deeply unless I share what it was that impacted my life.
It might be a symptom of our digital lifestyle that we often don’t take time for conversation in general. It rates a post on Facebook, or even the nightly news, when someone takes a stand to put down their cell phones during a meal, or when a teacher insists that students hang up their phones on a special board before class.
Words of grace can be the start of a real, old-fashioned conversation where we share what’s really going on in our daily life… Just maybe communication is one way to bridge the seemingly ever growing gap in understanding between all of us. As we communicate, we’ll learn that we are more alike than different! The Letter to the Ephesians says, “Let no unwholesome talk come out of your mouths, but only what is helpful for building up the one in need and bringing grace to those who listen. (Ephesians 4:29). We must practice only saying words that build up each other, and bring grace.
Speaking words of Grace can be something simple like a compliment on an outfit or hairstyle, or a thank you for an everyday task. By offering loving words, we are sharing the grace of God with one another. Loving words help erase the negativity that seems to surround us. Words of grace can brighten a person’s day. Offering affirmation can inspire a friend to step out bravely.
Think about how someone has given you words of grace in your life. What has someone said that helped you over a rough time? Did a simple thank you brighten a dull day? The song Save My Life* by Sidewalk Prophets says, “Maybe God is calling you tonight to tell me something that might save my life”.
Let’s try to speak words that strengthen and encourage. As the song says, “Would you take the time to tell me what I need to hear tell me that I’m not forgotten.” We all need to hear and know that we are important. If we don’t find that affirmation in our friends and family, we may turn to inappropriate ways to get attention and in that way assure ourselves that we are noticed and important.
There is something about the spoken word of affirmation that warms the soul. It also makes us uncomfortable, sometimes. How often do we dismiss a ‘thank you’ by saying ‘it was nothing’? Or perhaps we just smile and shrug when someone says ‘lovely outfit’, or ‘you did a great job’. Receiving words of Grace is an art, too. Someone once mentioned that when we shrug off a compliment or word of thanks, we diminish the one who was offering it. Rather like telling a child who brings a bouquet of dandelions ‘those are just weeds’. You might see them as weeds, the child sees them as beauty and wants to share them. In the same way, you may not think you deserve the compliment, but the person giving it cares enough to offer the grace. So take it with equal grace.

A prayer to close this post: Almighty God, you proclaim your truth in every age by many voices; Direct, in our time, we pray, those who speak where many listen and write what many read; that they may do their part in making the heart of this people wise, its mind sound, and its will righteous; to the honor of Jesus Christ our Lord. Amen. ~ The Book of Common Prayer

What can I say today to someone that is honestly Grace-filled? How can I receive words of Grace myself, as the gift they are?
Next week we’ll look at another way of Loving one another-serving with love.

We’ve met half a dozen times
I know your name I know you don’t know mine
But I won’t hold that against you

You come here every Friday night
I take your order and try to be polite
And hide what I’ve been going through

If you looked me right in the eye
Would see the pain deep inside
Would you take the time to

[Chorus:]
Tell me what I need to hear
Tell me that I’m not forgotten
Show me there’s a God
Who can be more than all I’ve ever wanted
‘Cause right now I need a little hope
I need to know that I’m not alone
Maybe God is calling you tonight
To tell me something
That might save my life

I’m the pastor at your church
For all these years you’ve listened to my words
You think I know all the answers

But I’ve got doubts and questions too
Behind this smile I’m really just like you
Afraid and tired and insecure

If you look me right in the eye
Would you see the real me inside
Would you take the time to
Save my life

I am just like everyone
Jesus I need You, I need Your Love
To save my life

Easter 4: Empty tomb and Good Shepherd

 We are praying our way through the Easter season—the Great 50 Days between Easter and Pentecost—by considering Jesus’ post-Resurrection app...