January 10, 2016

Scripture Scrapbooking: C and D


MEANS: protect and care for (someone) lovingly; hold (something) dear; keep (a hope or ambition) in one's mind.
FROM: Middle English: from Old French cheriss, from Latin carus care
BIBLE VERSE: For I too was a son to my father, still tender, and cherished by my mother. Then he taught me, and he said to me, “Take hold of my words with all your heart; keep my commands, and you will live”. (Proverbs 4:3-4)

THOUGHTS: This citation from Proverbs is talking about human parents, and it is even more true of our Heavenly Father. Our Loving God says, “Take hold of my words with all your heart; keep my commands, and you will live.” God cares for us so deeply that God only wants what is best for each of us. Because of that love, God also gives us free will. As the saying goes “If you love something set it free…” And God does set us free. Like a truly loving parent, God is also there to pick us up when we fall down!

PRAYER: Father God, I pray that I may be aware of your cherishing Love in each and every daily activity.


MEANS: have the courage to do something; defy or challenge (someone) to do something; take the risk
FROM: Old English durran, of Germanic origin; from an Indo-European root shared by Greek tharsein and Sanskrit dhṛṣ-‘be bold’
BIBLE VERSE: Very rarely will anyone die for a righteous person, though for a good person someone might possibly dare to die. But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us. (Romans 5:7-8)
THOUGHTS: To dare is to be bold and courageous. This verse from Romans always reminds me of A Tale of Two Cities and the courage of Carton who saves Darney. In Dicken’s novel, it is about love and intrigue. St. Paul is saying something very different. He says that “while we were still sinners, Christ died for us.” We do not have to be acquitted or get our lives in shape before God accepts us. We are beloved just as we are. Pretty good news!
PRAYER: Dear Jesus, too often I think I have to be perfect in order for you to love me. Help me remember that you took all sin to yourself on the cross, and declared me sinless. Let me dare to live believing in that amazing love.

SCRAPBOOK PROMPTS: Can the idea that God cherishes you and me, and all creation change the way you interact with others and with the world?
Are you willing to dare to act boldly for God?

Do images come to mind for either of these words? A child held in loving arms? A bold soldier marching off to war? Something else? Use them in your scrapbook. 

Easter 4: Empty tomb and Good Shepherd

 We are praying our way through the Easter season—the Great 50 Days between Easter and Pentecost—by considering Jesus’ post-Resurrection app...