January 31, 2016

Scripture Scrapbook- I and J


MEANS: the quality of being honest and having strong moral principles; moral uprightness,
the state of being whole and undivided, the condition of being unified, unimpaired, or sound in construction.
FROM:  late Middle English, from French intégrité or Latin integritas, from integer ‘intact,  (see integer).[Root of integer: early 16th century (‘entire, whole’): from Latin, ‘intact, whole,’ from in (not) + the root of tangere ‘to touch.’]

BIBLE VERSE: Several Psalms talk of being judged and found righteous because of the integrity of heart. (Psalm 7:8, Ps. 25:21, Ps. 26:11, Ps. 41:12, Ps. 101:2
A Psalm of David. Vindicate me, O LORD, for I have walked in my integrity, and I have trusted in the LORD without wavering. (Psalm 26:1)

THOUGHTS: I find it interesting that integrity comes from the same root as ‘integer’. As we learn early on in math, an integer is a whole number. When we walk with integrity, we are whole before others and God. We are not a human and a half. Nor are we a quarter of a human. We are God’s own chosen creation-whole and intact.

To have integrity is not something that is talked about a lot in the modern world. Tony Dungy in his book Uncommon says that “integrity is the choice between what’s convenient and what’s right.” CS Lewis noted that “Integrity is doing the right thing, even when no one is watching.” We may find it easy to point our finger at others who are not showing integrity in life. However, it starts with the way we live our own life.  For Christians, the thing that keeps us on target is the Word of God. Then, like David in the Psalm, we know that we have measured our self against the Lord and have not wavered. 

PRAYER: Creator of all, help me to see myself as an important whole piece of your work and creation. Guide me to measure my actions against your Word and to act with integrity.



MEANS: just behavior or treatment, the quality of being fair and reasonable, the administration of the law or authority in maintaining this, the personification of justice, a judge or magistrate
FROM:  late Old English iustise administration of the law, from Latin Justitia- jus-law, right.

BIBLE VERSE: Here is my servant, whom I uphold, my chosen one in whom I delight; I will put my Spirit on him, and he will bring justice to the nations. (Isaiah 42:1 & Matthew 12:18)

THOUGHTS: There are over 100 citations that use the word 'Justice' in the Bible! I guess that means it’s an important concept to God. The one I chose is found in both Isaiah and in Matthew. It is one of the Old Testament scriptures that points to Messiah. In Matthew it is found right after Jesus heals a man on the Sabbath, causing consternation and condemnation. He has just pointed out to the Pharisees that “it is lawful to do good on the Sabbath”.
The Justice of God is mercy and healing. Just a couple verses later in Isaiah we hear, “he will not break a bruised reed or quench a smoldering wick, till he bring justice to victory; and in his name will the Gentiles hope.” The Justice of God is certainly different than human justice in many cases. We are called to forgive and to love and to help the unlovable. Then we are the hands and feet of God’s continuing justice in the world.
Recently we celebrated Martin Luther King Jr. Day. His work, among many others, reminds us that there is much still to be done before justice truly prevails.

PRAYER: Dear Loving Father, help me to be an instrument of your justice and not seek the world’s justice against those who I think have wronged me. It isn’t easy, and I seek your help.

SCRAPBOOK PROMPTS:
How are you intact and whole in God? Is there a picture or image that exemplifies that for you?
What things speaks to your heart as needing God’s justice? Perhaps you can list them in your scrapbook to revisit.

Consider how your integrity in God is related to being a channel of justice. 

Easter 3: A Ghost?

  Welcome to Easter-tide or the Great 50 Days of Easter. We’re looking at some of the post-Resurrection meetings by Jesus and his followers....