December 22, 2015

Advent 4-Tuesday-Mansions

Purify our conscience, Almighty God, by your daily visitation, that your Son Jesus Christ, at his coming, may find in us a mansion prepared for himself; who lives and reigns with you, in the unity of the Holy Spirit, one God, now and for ever. Amen

Yesterday we considered what happens when Jesus comes to visit on a daily basis. The collect suggests that we are the mansion prepared by God for Jesus. For me the word ‘mansion’ conjures up a huge home with dozens of rooms and staircases and fabulous furnishings. I’m not so sure that I think of myself as being a wonderfully beautiful home for God…
In the Gospel of John, Jesus says, ‘In my Father's house are many mansions: if it were not so, I would have told you.” (John 14:2, KJV) The walls of my mansion may need paint, and the doors might be scuffed, and the windows dirty, but God sees the beauty that God created! Our ‘mansions’ are not all the same, but we are all beloved by God.


Does it make you feel joyful to think that you are a mansion for God?

Palm Sunday

 We are almost at the end of Lent. We’ve traveled through the 40 days and through the promises of the Baptismal Covenant found in the Episco...