October 18, 2015

God is Anamchara

Hildegard, the 12th Century mystic whose work we are exploring until Advent, was deeply convinced that we needed close friends, esp. someone who can be a soul friend, an anamchara, to affirm us in our gifts and help us grow into our truest self in God
Stop to consider who you would consider a soul friend, someone who always encourages and pushes you to greater things. You might want to thank that person.
Once Hildegard wrote, “no creature, whether visible or invisible, lacks a spiritual life…those who long to brings God’s words to completion must always remember that, because they are human, they are vessels of clay, and so should continually focus on what they are and what they will be…may God make you a mirror of life.”* Her words remind us that although all creation is part of God, we as humans have the greater responsibility. We are formed by God "of dust from the ground, and breathed into his nostrils the breath of life; and man became a living being.” (Genesis 2) In Romans, Paul notes, “For we know that the whole creation groans and suffers the pains of childbirth together until now. And not only this, but also we ourselves, having the first fruits of the Spirit, even we ourselves groan within ourselves, waiting eagerly for our adoption as sons, the redemption of our body.” (Romans 8:22-23) We are formed from clay, in the image of God and with God’s breath, but until we are fully redeemed, we are not complete.
Part of that completion and growth can only happen when we work together with one another. Even if we are not ‘soul friends’ with everyone, we need to recall that we are still part of the created whole. Ann Voskamp in her blog recently talked about our desperate need to remember that “Being enemies is not an option. Being human beings who belong to each other is the only option.”  
Each one of us is called Beloved by God. Yet we often withhold our fellowship because of hurt feelings or disagreements. When we don’t get along, we are not the ‘mirror of life’ that Hildegard suggests we should be.
Stop and think about someone you might need to forgive. Is there anything you can do to start the process of reconciliation?
Casting Crowns has a song, Who Am I (see below) that captures the frailty of humanity, and yet our Beloved-ness. God calls each of us “Mine” and knows our name. Jesus told his disciples, and us, “I call you friends, because I have made known to you everything…love one another.” (John 15:14-17)
Stop to thank God for calling you Beloved and Friend. How can you and I work to see each other as beloved fellow children of God?
Next time, we’ll look at Hildegard’s views on Justice and Virtue.

Who am I by Casting Crowns 
Who am I, that the Lord of all the earth
Would care to know my name,
Would care to feel my hurt?
Who am I, that the Bright and Morning Star
Would choose to light the way
For my ever wandering heart?

Not because of who I am
But because of what You've done.
Not because of what I've done
But because of who You are.

I am a flower quickly fading,
Here today and gone tomorrow.
A wave tossed in the ocean.
A vapor in the wind.
Still You hear me when I'm calling.
Lord, You catch me when I'm falling.
And You've told me who I am.
I am Yours, I am Yours.

Who am I, that the eyes that see my sin
Would look on me with love and watch me rise again?
Who am I, that the voice that calmed the sea
Would call out through the rain
And calm the storm in me?...

I am a flower quickly fading,
Here today and gone tomorrow.
A wave tossed in the ocean.
A vapor in the wind.
Still You hear me when I'm calling.
Lord, You catch me when I'm falling.
And You've told me who I am.
I am Yours….

Whom shall I fear?
Whom shall I fear?
'Cause I am Yours, I am Yours.


*Praying with Hildegard of Bingen by Gloria Durka

Easter 4: Empty tomb and Good Shepherd

 We are praying our way through the Easter season—the Great 50 Days between Easter and Pentecost—by considering Jesus’ post-Resurrection app...