August 23, 2015

Gideon's Army

Last time, we saw that Gideon had decided to act against the Midianite armies. He had been assured time and again by God that he really was the one called to free Israel from their oppressors. I know that I often want assurance that I’m doing what God wants me to do. Thomas Merton takes a different approach in his well-known prayer:
“My Lord God, I have no idea where I am going. I do not see the road ahead of me. I cannot know for certain where it will end. Nor do I really know myself, and the fact that I think that I am following your will does not mean that I am actually doing so. But I believe that the desire to please you does in fact please you. And I hope I have that desire in all that I am doing. I hope that I will never do anything apart from that desire. And I know that if I do this you will lead me by the right road, though I may know nothing about it. Therefore will I trust you always, though I may seem to be lost and in the shadow of death. I will not fear, for you are ever with me, and you will never leave me to face my perils alone.”
And God does not leave us to face anything alone. God did not leave Gideon alone either. However, God did trim Gideon’s army down to what must have seemed a pitiful group. “Then Jerubbaal (that is, Gideon) and all the troops that were with him rose early and encamped beside the spring of Harod; and the camp of Midian was north of them, below the hill of Moreh, in the valley. The Lord said to Gideon, ‘The troops with you are too many for me to give the Midianites into their hand. Israel would only take the credit away from me, saying, “My own hand has delivered me.” Now therefore proclaim this in the hearing of the troops, “Whoever is fearful and trembling, let him return home.” ’ Thus Gideon sifted them out; twenty-two thousand returned, and ten thousand remained. Then the Lord said to Gideon, ‘The troops are still too many; take them down to the water and I will sift them out for you there. When I say, “This one shall go with you”, he shall go with you; and when I say, “This one shall not go with you”, he shall not go.’ So he brought the troops down to the water; and the Lord said to Gideon, ‘All those who lap the water with their tongues, as a dog laps, you shall put to one side; all those who kneel down to drink, putting their hands to their mouths, you shall put to the other side.’ The number of those that lapped was three hundred; but all the rest of the troops knelt down to drink water. Then the Lord said to Gideon, ‘With the three hundred that lapped I will deliver you, and give the Midianites into your hand. Let all the others go to their homes.’ So he took the jars of the troops from their hands, and their trumpets; and he sent all the rest of Israel back to their own tents, but retained the three hundred. The camp of Midian was below him in the valley.
So, Gideon is left with 300 men, out of the 30,000 original volunteers. That’s a pretty drastic cut in forces. Have you ever been trying to do some ministry and it just seems like there are less and less people willing to help? Sometimes that means that the ministry has run its course, but sometimes it can be that God is working more powerfully through the few than would be possible through many more. 
I think that we sometimes think we need lots of resources-money, manpower, support, equipment, etc. to accomplish anything grand. In truth, it is often the small endeavors that end up making the most difference. Recently there was a story on the news about an 8 year old girl who wanted to raise $8000 for her birthday to give to a hospital. When word got out she raised thousands more, including an anonymous gift of $50,000. She didn’t set out to do that, she just wanted to say thanks to the hospital which saved her life. Consider the story of Jesus feeding the 5000. It was a boy with 5 loaves and 2 fish who provided that food. And Gideon, with his 300 men against the massed forces of Midian, with the Amalekites and ‘the people of the East’.
None of these people doubted that what they had was enough, because they were willing to trust God. With Merton they were willing to openly pray, "Therefore will I trust you always...you will never leave me."
What would happen if we had the faith of the boy with his lunch or Gideon with his 300 and were willing to say ‘here I am use me’?
Could praying Merton’s prayer change the way we view our life and ministry, as we know that “ I will not fear, for you are ever with me”?
Next time we’ll conclude our look at Gideon and see what happened when he acted on God’s promise.

Easter 3: A Ghost?

  Welcome to Easter-tide or the Great 50 Days of Easter. We’re looking at some of the post-Resurrection meetings by Jesus and his followers....