August 24, 2014

Live in Harmony

Harmony and Humility are the last 2 aspects of living a Pentecost life, according to Romans 12:8-16. This week Paul tells us, “Live in harmony with one another.” What exactly is ‘harmony’. It’s not a word much in use for relationships any more. Other translations say to live in ‘agreement’ or to ‘be of the same mind’ with each other.

There are other verses in the Epistles that urge us to act in harmony and agreement with each other. In 2 Corinthians 13:11, we are told to “rejoice! Strive for full restoration, encourage one another, be of one mind, live in peace. And the God of love and peace will be with you.”
In the letter to the Philippians, Paul urges that community, “make my joy complete by being like-minded, having the same love, being one in spirit and of one mind.” (Philippians 2:2) Even St. Peter calls on the young church to “be like-minded, be sympathetic, love one another, be compassionate and humble.” (I Peter 3:8)

The dictionary says that harmony is a friendly agreement, a pleasing combination [of sounds] or notes sung or played together. This brings to mind a collection of songs by John Michael Talbot called The Master Musician. In songs like Words and Music and the Conductor, as well as the title song Master Musician, Talbot compares a song to our lives in God. In Words and Music he says, “The song exists from the time of eternity, written by an ancient hand of God. The earthly composer has only to uncover what was written by the Spirit all along.” We work in unity with God to uncover and live the melody we were created for. The chorus of the song Master Musician echoes this. “We too are like musicians lifting calloused hands to pray. From cloistered hearts and cathedraled minds we music work with human effort responding to God‘s grace, making melody for love.” We sing our melody and others sing theirs. All together we make the symphony of life.
If ‘harmony’ is acting in agreement and becoming a ‘pleasing combination of notes together’, what can we do to be more active in ‘responding to God’s grace, making melody for love’? How do we uncover what was ‘written by the Spirit all along’?

St. Paul has given us the guidelines in the preceding verses. Have genuine, sincere love for each other and discern the good and right. We are to remember what Mother Teresa said, “Reconciliation begins not first with others but with ourselves: by allowing Jesus to clean us -- to forgive us, to love us.” (June 29) We honor and serve one another with enthusiasm, joy and patience, offering hospitality. Further, we are not to live this way just we those who are ‘like’ us, but with all of Creation!
Acting in harmony with someone we disagree with isn’t easy. Very often it means taking that extra (and really hard) step to reach out a hand. It might mean accepting the hand held out to us by someone we’ve been at odds with, too. It could, as we saw last time, require that we “repay evil with blessing” (I Peter 3:9). A long time ago I clipped out a poem called Let me Be a Little Kinder, to use as a prayer. Turns out it’s a song by Glen Campbell that is actually called Less of Me. Either way, it is a way to live in harmony as we ‘think more of my neighbor, and a little less of me’.

Let me be a little kinder
Let me be a little blinder
To the faults of those about me

Let me praise a little more

Let me be when I am weary
Just a little bit more cheery
Think a little more of others
And a little less of me


Let me be a little braver
When temptation bids me waver
Let me strive a little harder
To be all that I should be


Let me be a little meeker
With the brother that is weaker
Let me think more of my neighbor
And a little less of me


Let me be when I am weary
Just a little bit more cheery
Let me serve a little better
Those that I am strivin' for


The good news is that we are not alone in doing this work of living in harmony and offering reconciliation. God is with us and in us with Grace to help us begin ‘making melody for love.’ Jesus promises to send “the Spirit of truth, whom the world cannot receive, because it does not see Him or know Him, but you know Him because He abides with you and will be in you. I will not leave you as orphans; I will come to you.” (John 14: 17-18).
Next week, we'll conclude this series with a look at what Paul says about humility in our Pentecost lives. After Labor Day, we'll move into some rather 'right brained' activities based on the Lord's Prayer.
Let love be genuine (sincere, honest); hate what is evil, hold fast to what is good; love one another with mutual affection; outdo one another in showing honour. Do not lag in zeal, be ardent in spirit, serve the Lord. Rejoice in hope, be patient in suffering, persevere in prayer. Contribute to the needs of the saints; extend hospitality to strangers. Bless those who persecute you; bless and do not curse them. Rejoice with those who rejoice, weep with those who weep. Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly; do not claim to be wiser than you are.

Easter 3: A Ghost?

  Welcome to Easter-tide or the Great 50 Days of Easter. We’re looking at some of the post-Resurrection meetings by Jesus and his followers....