August 8, 2010

Ordinary Time Excursion-Abigail

I recently read an interesting phrase: “God cannot do anything through us, until he is doing something in us.” This is true and I think God is always working in us, if we give the slightest encouragement. Like the sun bursting from behind these clouds, the Holy Spirit can break in and do great things, even before we are aware of it. Abigail and her husband Nabal offer an interesting contrast in how that can be true.



Abigail’s story is found in I Samuel, chapter 25. She is the young wife of a wealthy man (Nabal). “He had three thousand sheep and a thousand goats. He was shearing his sheep in Carmel.” (I Samuel 25:2). David at the time was a fugitive from the court of King Saul and living in the wilderness of Paran, near Carmel. He “sent 10 young men…‘go to Nabal, and greet him in my name…[tell him] your shepherds have been with us, and we did them no harm, and they missed nothing…therefore…pray, give whatever you have at hand to your servants and to your son David.” (I Samuel 25:5-8)

Nabal, despite his wealth, is not generous and responds rudely, “Who is David? Who is the son of Jesse? There are many servants nowadays breaking away from their masters.” When David hears this, he is angry and prepares to attack Nabal. (I Samuel 25:10-13) Nabal’s response is not unexpected, perhaps, since David is an outlaw, and the story might end there with David destroying Nabal and all he owns.

Enter Abigail. “One of the young men told Abigail…‘behold, David sent messengers…and he railed at them. Yet the men were very good to us and we suffered no harm…consider what you should do; for evil is determined against our master…and he is so ill natured that one cannot speak to him.” Abigail knows she must save her husband and family by doing something rather bold.

“Abigail made haste, and took 200 loaves, and 2 skins of wine, and 5 sheep ready dressed, and 5 measures of parched grain, and a hundred clusters of raisins, and 200 cakes of figs, and laid them on asses…But she did not tell her husband Nabal.” (I Samuel 25: 18-19) Abigail believes she can forestall the attack by a generous gift which she takes herself to David. “When Abigail saw David…she fell before David on her face, and bowed to the ground… ‘Let not my lord regard this ill-natured fellow, Nabal; for as his name is, so is he…folly is with him…now let this present which your servant has brought to my lord be given to the young men who follow my lord.’” (I Samuel 25:23-31)

David accepts the gift, saying, “For as surely as the Lord the God of Israel lives…unless you had made haste and come to meet me, truly by morning there had not been left to Nabal so much as one male.” (I Samuel 25:34)

Abigail’s actions, while contrary to accepted propriety, were based in a heart that trusted in God. The Spirit had been at work in her so that she was generous and brave enough to act. Her strength was based in the Lord. Nabal’s actions, on the other hand, came from a heart where God was not allowed to work. He concentrated on himself and had no room for God’s love or for an exile from the court, no matter how much David assisted Nabal’s shepherds.

When Nabal learns what Abigail did, “his heart died within him, and he became as a stone. And about 10 days later the Lord smote Nabal; and he died.” (I Samuel 25:38) Later “David sent and wooed Abigail, to make her his wife.” (I Samuel 25:40)

Abigail is with David during his exile and wilderness wanderings. She is taken captive by the Amalekites “David’s two wives also had been taken captive. Ahinoam of Jezreel, and Abigail the widow of Nabal…David strengthened himself in the Lord his God.” (I Samuel 30:5-6)

I told Abigail’s reaction to the captivity in My Abigail*.

“I forgot,” in the darkness of my self-imposed covert I gasped in repentance. “When I was a child I knew that I AM was in everything. Then I lost sight of the greatness of the Living Lord. God is the One who created me and the One who gives me all I need.”


With the realization came a lightening of my heart. I breathed a petition, half praise and half awe as I lifted my head. “We are not forgotten. The Almighty knows where we are even if David does not. Even though we are surrounded by enemies we are protected. God you raised David to lead men guide him here to save us.”


I wiped my eyes with my sleeve. It was strange that amid the danger and fear I found faith again. Almost reverently I gathered a fistful of sand from beneath my feet.


“Though as many as the stars of heaven and this very sand, the God of Abraham will never forsake the chosen ones. Living and Holy Lord of the Children of Israel please rescue and bring us back to the land you prepared for those who follow your laws. Almighty One, you were with Joseph in exile and prison, be with us now. Give me courage to do what I must do to preserve the safety of these women.”

Like the Psalmist, Abigail realizes that God is with her, no matter what the circumstances are. Psalm 37 says, “I have been young, and now am old, yet I have not seen the righteous forsaken or their children begging bread. They are ever giving liberally and lending, and their children become a blessing. Depart from evil, and do good; so you shall abide for ever. For the LORD loves justice; he will not forsake his faithful ones. The righteous shall inherit the land, and live in it for ever.” (Psalm 37:25-29)

As long as we do not close the door on God, God will work. Only when, like Nabal, we close our hearts, is God unable to work. It is all our own choice. What can you do to let the doors of your heart be open so that God can work in you and through you?

Next week, we will meet Hannah. Her prayer was answered in an amazing way.

*My Abigail, ISBN:978-1-58288-269-7, available online through Amazon.com and my website (CynthiaDavisAuthor.com).

Palm Sunday

 We are almost at the end of Lent. We’ve traveled through the 40 days and through the promises of the Baptismal Covenant found in the Episco...