July 11, 2010

Ordinary Time Excursion-Naomi

This week we meet Naomi. She is a main character in the Book of Ruth. It is easy to think of her as a tragic figure. As a childless widow in a foreign country (Moab), Naomi was indeed destitute, even though her daughters-in-law offer to stay with her. Naomi gallantly tells the young women to return to their fathers’ homes. Ruth refuses with the famous lines often used at weddings, “where you go I will go and where you lodge I will lodge; your people shall be my people, and your God my God.” (Ruth 2:16)

Together the two women travel to Bethlehem and are welcomed with surprise. In her anger against God, Naomi changes her name and turns her back on the Lord. She tells everyone, “Do not call me Naomi , call me Mara , for the Almighty has dealt very bitterly with me. I went away full, and the Lord has brought me back empty…the Lord has afflicted me and the Almighty has brought calamity upon me.” [Naomi means Pleasant, while Mara means Bitter]

When bad things happen we automatically blame God or assume that God is punishing us. I’ve done it myself. However, in hindsight, I see that God has been walking right beside me—grieving, hurting, despairing, suffering with me. Naomi was hurting and angry because her sons and husband had died in a foreign country, leaving her alone and impoverished. Coming home to Bethlehem, at first, did not seem to have improved her situation.

The laws of Israel provide that the edges of the fields are to be left for the widows and orphans to glean. Ruth offers to go glean so that she and Naomi will have food. Coincidentally, the field belongs to Boaz, a relative of Naomi’s. Someone has said that coincidences are God acting anonymously and that is what happens in this story.

Naomi notices that Boaz is interested in Ruth and advises her how to ‘force his hand’. “Wash…and anoint yourself…go down to the threshing floor; but do not make yourself known to the man until he has finished eating and drinking…observe the place where he lies…uncover his feet and lie down; and he will tell you what to do.” (Ruth 3:3-4)

Even while manipulating the situation, Naomi begins to understand that Psalm 34, verses 16-17 is right. “Better is a little that the righteous person has than the abundance of many wicked. For the arms of the wicked shall be broken, but the LORD upholds the righteous.” She starts to understand God’s providence in the events that follow.

Boaz does marry Ruth and she bears a son. Naomi is comforted for her losses by her grandson and the neighbors tell her, “Blessed be the Lord, who has not left you this day without next of kin…he shall be to you a restorer of life and a nourisher of your old age; for your daughter-in-law who loves you, who is more to you than seven sons, has born him.” (Ruth 4:14-15).

Naomi has come full circle physically and spiritually. She is back in Bethlehem. She is no longer the destitute widow. She has been restored to faith by God. In my book, Naomi’s Joy, it takes time for Naomi to come to the crisis of faith that brings her back to the comfort of God.

“I needed to blame the Almighty for my grief. I told myself that God took what I loved because I had done something wrong or because I was not thankful enough. All my life I hated I AM. I never dared trust that I would be cared for. If I failed in any way I was certain that I would be punished. When Elimelech died I knew I was right. I told myself that the God of Abraham, Isaac and Jacob turned away when we left the Promised Land. After Adah’s death I was sure that the Holy One hated me because I allowed her to marry a foreigner.” I panted as the confession poured out through my sobs. “I hated my life enough to die.”


“Mother Naomi,” [Ruth] held me tight unable to respond to my words.


“I was wrong. The Living Lord did not desert me.” I spoke low as comprehension burst into my heart. Tears I could not stop rolled down my face. “You once said that the Holy One of Israel provides healing even for death and pain. Ever since my father died from the bite of the serpent I have been angry with God. Everything that went wrong was another reason to blame the Lord of Life…I raised my head and took my friend’s hands in my own. “It is in relationship with one another and with God we can all live in freedom no matter what our circumstances. Your loyalty and steadfast faith in God are all that kept me alive even when I have refused to be free. All my life I preferred rage. The Almighty never stopped providing help and comfort. Even in the depths of my despair, a way was opened to return to Bethlehem…”

Very often it takes me a while to understand why I am struggling against allowing God to love me during some ‘trial’. When I am in the midst of difficult times, God does not leave me. When I accept the reality that I am hurting and/or angry about a situation, I find that I can then let it go and allow God to take over. Only then do I find a resolution, rarely one I would have planned.

Naomi could not have planned for Boaz to fall in love with Ruth when she came back to Bethlehem angry and bitter. God’s plan was better and bigger than leaving the two widows to struggle against poverty for the rest of their lives. God’s plan included a future that led to the Kingdom of David and centuries later to the birth of Jesus Christ.

Is there something you need to admit or accept and let go to God so you can be embraced by God’s loving arms? God patiently waits until we are ready to return. We are always surprised that God is right there all along! Only after Naomi admitted that she used God as an excuse for her anger could she heal. Let go of your own hurts and let God begin to heal your heart.

Next week, we will see what Rachel can teach us about grief.

Easter 3: A Ghost?

  Welcome to Easter-tide or the Great 50 Days of Easter. We’re looking at some of the post-Resurrection meetings by Jesus and his followers....