December 6, 2009

Advent II-I will not forsake you

Last week we looked at the Annunciation to Mary. An angel, a heavenly messenger, comes to this young girl of Nazareth with the amazing news that she will be mother of Messiah. Her courage was tested when she had to tell her husband-to-be, Joseph, that she was going to have a child. Joseph was likely 10-20 years older than Mary. Men were expected to be established in life before they married. Some traditions say he was much older than Mary, perhaps in his 50’s or 60’s. His age doesn’t matter as much as his faith and courage in accepting Mary and her Child.


We continue with our fictitious interview between the Evangelist Luke and Mary (based on Matt. 1:18-25). This image of Joseph entitled the Anxiety of Jesus is by James Tissot.


LUKE: How did you tell your family about your visit from the angel?

MARY: It wasn’t easy. Mother started to cry and threw her veil over her head. My father just looked stern and disappointed. I know they thought I was lying.

LUKE: What about Joseph?

MARY: (closes her eyes for a moment) I was almost afraid to tell him after my parents’ reaction. He had to be told, though. I hoped that God had prepared him.

LUKE: What happened?

MARY: I walked to his carpenter shop. He was busy and I watched him work from the doorway for a little while. He smiled when he saw me. When he asked, ‘Mary, why are you here?’, I knew that he had not been visited by an angel.

LUKE: Were you afraid?

MARY: For a moment I wanted to run away, but then I remembered that God was with me. ‘I have something to tell you,” I told the man. I think he expected me to say I couldn’t marry him because I saw a sadness come into his eyes.

LUKE: What did he say?

MARY: Nothing, he just stared at me with that sad expression. ‘Don’t be afraid, it is good news,’ I tried to reassure him. ‘I have seen an angel.’ (pauses and stares away, remembering the scene)

LUKE: Then?

MARY: Joseph still didn’t say anything, so I told him what the angel said to me. I watched his expression change from worry to disbelief to anger. ‘How can you blaspheme?’ he snarled when I finished my story. ‘It is true,’ I insisted. When he turned away, I felt like crying. Inside I said a quick prayer. ‘God, please, I can’t do this alone.’

LUKE: It must have been hard for Joseph to understand what happened to you.

MARY: Yes, he didn’t say anything more to me even when I said, ‘I have not betrayed our betrothal. God has acted. I hoped you would rejoice with me.’ Joseph just stood there with his head bowed. I felt like my heart was breaking. Instead of going home, I walked out to the hills when I left the carpenter shop.

LUKE: I know he did come to believe you.

MARY: (smiles) He came to our house the next day. It was barely dawn, but he roused Father by pounding on the door. Mother and I stood in the shadows while the two men talked. ‘I want to wed Mary,’ Joseph stated. My father nodded. ‘Now, today!’ our visitor insisted. ‘Her child is mine.’ When I heard him claim the child, I was sure God had visited Joseph and softened his heart.

LUKE: Did he ever explain his change of mind?

MARY: (laughs softly) He told me when we walked to his home after our hasty wedding. I barely noticed the stares and whispers of the neighbors as he explained how he struggled to decide what to do. ‘I could have had you stoned,’ he reminded me. ‘You would not do that,’ I answered. He sighed and agreed, ‘I thought I would send you away until the child was born or divorce you. The mental struggle was exhausting and I finally fell into a troubled sleep. In my dream I felt warmth and heard a comforting voice saying, ‘Joseph, son of David, do not be afraid to take Mary as your wife, for the child conceived in her is from the Holy Spirit. She will bear a son, and you are to name him Jesus, for he will save his people from their sins.’ When I woke up, I had to see you and marry you right away.’

LUKE: It takes a brave man to do what he did.

MARY: Few men would accept another man’s child as their own, much less a Child so miraculously conceived. God chose Joseph just like he chose me. I was blessed by his love and support. The gossip did not last long when everyone in Nazareth saw how happy we were together.


The law of Israel considered a betrothal as binding as the actual marriage. A ketubot, a parchment outlining the contract and the duties of husband and wife was signed at the betrothal. If the woman was unfaithful during that time, the punishment was the same as for adultery after marriage. She could be stoned. It was up to the man to decide what to do. When Joseph agreed to wed Mary, he announced to the world that child was his. He was admitting, tacitly, that he and Mary had engaged in premarital relations. Only a few people knew the real truth of the conception of the Child. Joseph’s faith in saying ‘yes’ to God’s call is often overlooked.

Mary’s courage in going to Joseph, her fiancĂ© and telling him she was pregnant, shows us how God can empower us to do things that are hard. Mary and Joseph may have been reminded of Moses’ words of blessing to Joshua and the people of Israel, before they entered the Promised Land. “Be strong and of good courage, do not fear or be in dread of them: for it is the Lord your God who goes with you; he will not fail you or forsake you.” (Deut. 31:6 & 8) The Hebrew word “forsake” (azab) in this case means relinquish. Moses promises God will not relinquish (surrender, abandon, let go) the people. Mary and Joseph found this to be true as well.

Can you relate to the faith of Mary who trusts in God, even in the face of doubt by her parents and Joseph?
God promises that he will not forsake you or me. Does that give you comfort?

The first verse of “Great is Thy Faithfulness” captures the essence of God who does not forsake us, no matter how the circumstances look. Meditate on the words this week as you take time with God.

Great is Thy faithfulness, O God my Father;
There is no shadow of turning with Thee;
Thou changest not, Thy compassions, they fail not;
As Thou hast been, Thou forever will be.

Next week Mary will tell us of her visit to her cousin Elizabeth.

As promised, the book special this week (Dec. 6-12) is buy one get one of any of my books. You can only get this special by emailing me and noting Blog Special in the memo line. Check back next week for another special offer.

Easter 3: A Ghost?

  Welcome to Easter-tide or the Great 50 Days of Easter. We’re looking at some of the post-Resurrection meetings by Jesus and his followers....