August 9, 2009

ABC's of Faith

Sometimes it's good to get back to the basics. The fun of summer is almost over, even though the calendar says it's only August. School is starting up soon and my grandchildren will be off to their various classes. A couple will be in preschool for their first experience of school. One daughter will be starting home schooling for her family. A couple of them will be returning to school as a familiar experience.

One of the first things we learn in school is our ABC's. It occurs to me that sometimes we need to stop and consider what the basics of our faith in Christ really are. I don't mean the dogma and creeds, necessarily, of any denomination. Rather, it's the statements that you personally relate to and consider the cornerstone of your relationship with God and with Christ.

What are some of those statements for you?
God is Love is the one that resonates most deeply with me. I still remember the first time I read that in a child's Bible story book. It was soon after I learned to read--so around 5 years old. There was a little poem, which I cannot recall. It was something about the sun and flowers and birds, etc. all whispering 'God is Love'.

"I know the plans I have for you, plans to prosper and not harm you," (Jer. 29:11) is another that I believe. Knowing that God is involved in every part of my life is a comfort and assurance when I feel confused about which way to go or what decision to make.

Another is Rom. 8:38. "I am sure that...nothing in all creation will be able to separate us from the love of God in Christ Jesus our Lord." That's pretty awesome if you stop to really think about it. We are in the arms of a loving and mighty God, who will never let us down.

So what are the ABC's of my faith?













Answers are not necessarily important, because God's plans are better than mine.














Belief in God who is Love is the basis for all faith and

Christ is the cornerstone who keeps us safe in relationship with our loving Father God.

I would invite you to take a bit of time this week to ponder your own ABC's of your Faith. You might be surprised at what you identify as the ABC's of your faith.

Easter 4: Empty tomb and Good Shepherd

 We are praying our way through the Easter season—the Great 50 Days between Easter and Pentecost—by considering Jesus’ post-Resurrection app...