April 2, 2009

April 2

131, 132, 140, 142
Jer. 26:1-16
Rom. 11:1-12
John 10:19-42

Psalm 131
1O LORD, my heart is not lifted up, my eyes are not raised too high; I do not occupy myself with things too great and too marvelous for me.
2But I have calmed and quieted my soul, like a weaned child with its mother; my soul is like the weaned child that is with me.
3O Israel, hope in the LORD from this time on and forevermore
.


Isn’t this a lovely image of being at peace with God? The metaphor of resting like a toddler with her mother is beautiful. Too often we don't think about God as have maternal characteristics, but as the psalmist and Julian of Norwich tell us, God is both Father and Mother.

As truly as God is our Father
So just as truly is God our Mother.
In our Father, God Almighty, we have our being:
In our merciful Mother we are remade and restored.
Our fragmented lives are knit together
.
And by giving and yielding ourselves, through grace, to the Holy Spirit, we are made whole.
It is I, the strength and goodness of the Fatherhood.
It is I, the wisdom of Motherhood.
It is I, the light and grace of holy love.
It is I, the Trinity, it is I, the unity.
I am the sovereign goodness in all things.
It is I who teach you to love.
It is I who teach you to desire.
It is I who am the reward of all true desiring.
All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.


How does the idea of God as Mother make you feel? Are you comfortable or uncomfortable with the image?
The psalmist says “my soul is like the weaned child that is with me.” This picture illustrates the joy of that completeness. This picture shows a family joyfully and peacefully enjoying one another’s love in a circle of completeness.

Have you ever felt a similar restful peace in God’s presence? Has there been a time when you felt like a “weaned child with its mother”?

For your journal: Think about times when you have felt at peace with God. Can you write a poem or prayer expressing those feelings?

Easter 3: A Ghost?

  Welcome to Easter-tide or the Great 50 Days of Easter. We’re looking at some of the post-Resurrection meetings by Jesus and his followers....