March 2, 2009

March 2

41, 52, 44
Deut. 8:11-20
Heb. 2:11-18
John 2:1-12

Heb. 2:11-18
11For the one who sanctifies and those who are sanctified all have one Father. For this reason Jesus is not ashamed to call them brothers and sisters, 12saying, “I will proclaim your name to my brothers and sisters, in the midst of the congregation I will praise you.”13And again, “I will put my trust in him.” And again, “Here am I and the children whom God has given me.”14Since, therefore, the children share flesh and blood, he himself likewise shared the same things, so that through death he might destroy the one who has the power of death, that is, the devil, 15and free those who all their lives were held in slavery by the fear of death. 16For it is clear that he did not come to help angels, but the descendants of Abraham. 17Therefore he had to become like his brothers and sisters in every respect, so that he might be a merciful and faithful high priest in the service of God, to make a sacrifice of atonement for the sins of the people 18Because he himself was tested by what he suffered, he is able to help those who are being tested.

The reading from Deut. today picks up on yesterday’s theme by reminding us in vs. 18 “You shall remember the Lord your God, for it is he who give you power to get wealth; that he may confirm his covenant which he swore to your fathers…” However, it is the Hebrew’s reading that caught my attention.

Starting out with the proclamation that “the one who sanctifies and those who are sanctified all have one Father.” Paul goes on to explain how humanity and Jesus are brothers and sisters and descendents of Abraham. Ultimately, Paul says, it is because Christ was human and tempted, he is “able to help those are being tested.”

My Bible annotations say that because Jesus was tempted to escape the cross, he can help us all when we are tempted to fall away when we are afraid. Isn't that a sure sign of being in close relationship with someone-they are there to help you when times get hard.

Like a parent, God walks with us, and picks us up when we fall. This photo reminds me of the tender love God has for each one of us. We have a God who cares for us in the same way this baby is adored by his mother.

Isn’t that a wonderful reassurance to those of us struggling with the day-to-day business of living? Jesus Christ knows what we are going through and can walk with us through the pitfalls and challenges that come.

I am reminded that it is often the events we call 'bad' or challenging that turn out to be the greatest of blessings! This poem by an Unknown Civil War Veteran is displayed in the lobby of the Shreveport, LA Veterans Hospital

Most Richly Blessed
I asked God for strength, that I might achieve.
I was made weak, that I might learn humbly to obey.
I asked for health, that I might do great things.
I was given infirmity, that I might do better things.
I asked for riches, that I might be happy.
I was given poverty, that I might become wise.
I asked for power, that I might have the praise of men.
I was given weakness, that I might feel the need for God.
I asked for all things, that I might enjoy life.
I was given Life, that I might enjoy all things.
I got nothing that I asked for,
but everything I had hoped for.
Almost despite myself,
my unspoken prayers and true needs were fulfilled.
I am, among all men, most richly blessed.

For your journal: Draw 3 columns. In one make a list of some of the things you are struggling with or tempted by. In the other, find a promise from the Hebrew’s reading or elsewhere in the Bible that reminds you of Jesus’ triumph over all things. In the last column make a note of why this promise means something to you.

For instance:

My finances......................“I will put my trust in him”....................God provides all I need
Finding a publisher..........“he did not come to help angels”...........God wants best for me

Easter 4: Empty tomb and Good Shepherd

 We are praying our way through the Easter season—the Great 50 Days between Easter and Pentecost—by considering Jesus’ post-Resurrection app...