October 4, 2023

October 4: Feast of St. Francis

 This week we celebrate the Feast of St. Francis of Assisi. Many churches will have animal blessings and talk about his life and ministry. Francis, the rich, young soldier of Assisi walked away from all the trappings of wealth and power to live among and minister to the least of society. His actions resulted in others joining his life and ultimately the Order of Franciscans emerged.


The Prayer of St. Francis is likely not by Francis. It isn’t found in any of his writings, but it has been widely known and shared at least since the early 20th Century as the Prayer of St. Francis. In praying it today, I would encourage you to pause and meditate on each phrase and the scripture I’ve attached to it. Then you may want to add your own petitions for peace, love, forgiveness, etc. (The image is a view from St. Francis on the Hill Episcopal Church, El Paso, TX)

Lord, make me an instrument of your peace.
The peace of God, which passes all understanding, shall keep your hearts and minds through Christ (Philippians 4:7)
Where can I pray for peace?

Where there is hatred, let me bring love.
Let us love one another, for love comes from God. (I John 4:7)
What is my part in bearing love instead of hate?

Where there is offence, let me bring pardon.
Jesus answered, “I tell you, [forgive] not seven times, but seventy-seven times. (Matthew 18:22)
Who have I offended or need to forgive?

Where there is discord, let me bring union.
in Christ we, though many, form one body, and each member belongs to all the others. (Romans 12:5)
When can I build up the Body to create union instead of division?

Where there is error, let me bring truth.
Jesus answered, “I am the way and the truth and the life. (John 14:6)
What truth can I share in my part of the world?

Where there is doubt, let me bring faith.
For we walk by faith, not by sight. (2 Corinthians 5:7)
Who can I support in their faith walk?

Where there is despair, let me bring hope.
This hope is a strong and trustworthy anchor for our souls. (Hebrews 6:19)
Where can I share hope today?

Where there is darkness, let me bring your light.
In him was life; and the life was the light of men. (John 1:4)
What is the light in my life?

Where there is sadness, let me bring joy.
You will grieve, but your grief will turn to joy. (John 16:20)
When can I bring joy into grief?

O Master, let me not seek as much to be consoled as to console,
You, O Lord, are kind and forgiving, rich in loving devotion to all who call on You. (Psalm 86:5)
What consolation can I offer others?

to be understood as to understand,
when he, the Spirit of truth, comes, he will guide you into all the truth. (John 16:13)
Where do I need more understanding?

to be loved as to love,
By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you love one another. (John 13:35)
How can I be more loving?

for it is in giving that one receives,
Give, and it will be given to you (Luke 6:38)
In what ways can I be more giving?

it is in self-forgetting that one finds,
…Jesus said, ‘you must give up your own way, take up your cross, and follow me’ (Matthew 16:24)
What part of myself do I need to give up or forget?

it is in pardoning that one is pardoned,
Be tolerant of one another and forgive each other (Colossians 3:13)
Who do I need to pardon?

it is in dying that one is raised to eternal life
I have come that they may have life, and have it to the full. (John 10:10)
How can I more fully accept God’s life in me?

Amen and Amen.