July 30, 2023

Pentecost 9: Psalm 119: Blessing

 Here we are at the end of July. Summer is more than half over. Where I live, school will be starting in a week. The lessons today are a varied group. We hear about Solomon’s dream and God’s promise of wisdom and wealth. The Epistle affirms that we are chosen, loved, and protected by God. In the Gospel, Jesus gives four more parables about the Kingdom of God. He compares it to mustard seed and yeast, both growing and increasing. He also says it is like treasure in a field and a net full of fish which are sorted. The Psalm is full of blessings for those who obey God’s decrees.

Each of these lessons is about how God blesses our lives when we long for your commandments. Solomon (I Kings 3:5-12) asks Give your servant therefore an understanding mind to govern your people, able to discern between good and evil; for who can govern this your great people? God multiplies blessings to Solomon, because you have asked this, and have not asked for yourself long life or riches, or for the life of your enemies, but have asked for yourself understanding to discern what is right, I now do according to your word. Indeed I give you a wise and discerning mind; no one like you has been before you and no one like you shall arise after you. The Psalm affirms that when [God’s] word goes forth it gives light; it gives understanding to the simple.

It can be tempting to plan things to conform with our own way of how we want them to be. Sometimes that doesn’t work out well. The words of the Epistle (Romans 8:26-39) remind us of how God cares for us even when we are in distress. We are consoled to hear that very Spirit intercedes with sighs too deep for words…the Spirit intercedes for the saints according to the will of God. We know that all things work together for good for those who love God, who are called according to his purpose…we are more than conquerors through him who loved us…[nothing] in all creation, will be able to separate us from the love of God in Christ Jesus our Lord. The truth that God knows our deepest sorrows and will keep us safe, even in the midst of grief or danger can be a deep comfort. The Psalmist, centuries earlier notes that God will rescue from those who oppress me.

The four parables in the Gospel are about the bounty of God’s kingdom. The tiny things—seed and yeast become trees and bread that are beneficial. The treasure in the field and the massive catch of fish also point to the richness of God’s blessing on our lives. Like the person who sells everything to get the field, the Psalmist cries, my desire for Your commands left me waiting, open-mouthed and panting.

Even though we are more than conquerors through Christ, as we follow the commandments of God we are, like Solomon, even more blessed. We are the good [fish put] into baskets, those whom he justified he also glorified.


All things are full of blessing if we just look for them. Rabbi Danya Ruttenberg says blessing is “the kind of thing that people often experience in nature—at the proverbial mountaintop, when walking in the woods, seeing a gorgeous view of the ocean. But it’s also, I think, about bringing that sense of awe into the little things we often take for granted, or consider part of the background of our lives. This includes the flowers on the side of the road; the taste of ice cream in our mouths; ... or to find a really, really good stick on the ground. And it also includes things we generally don’t even think of as pleasures, like the warm soapy water on our hands as we wash dishes. (Danya Ruttenberg, Nurture the Wow: Finding Spirituality in the Frustration, Boredom, Tears, Poop, Desperation, Wonder, and Radical Amazement of Parenting (New York: Flatiron Books, 2016), 56–57.)

Pause this week and look for blessings in the small things.

What blessing was most surprising?

Psalm 119:129-136

129 Your decrees are wonderful; therefore I obey them with all my heart.
130 When your word goes forth it gives light; it gives understanding to the simple.
131 I open my mouth and pant; I long for your commandments.
132 Turn to me in mercy, as you always do to those who love your Name.
133 Steady my footsteps in your word; let no iniquity have dominion over me.
134 Rescue me from those who oppress me, and I will keep your commandments.
135 Let your countenance shine upon your servant and teach me your statutes.
136 My eyes shed streams of tears, because people do not keep your law.

(Book of Common Prayer)

 

Your decrees inspire wonder; because of that, my soul desires to keep them.
When Your words are unveiled, light shines forth; they bring understanding to the simple.
My desire for Your commands left me waiting, open-mouthed and panting.
Acknowledge me and show me Your grace as is Your habit toward all those who love Your name.
Guide my steps in the ways of Your word, and do not let any sin control me.
Rescue me from the torment of my human oppressors so that I may live according Your decrees.
Let Your face shine upon Your servant, and help me to learn what You require.
My eyes shed rivers of tears whenever people fail to keep Your teaching

(The Voice Version)