July 23, 2023

Pentecost 8: Psalm 86: Listen

 During this Season of Pentecost, we have heard about Obedience and Freedom. Last week was about sowing and bearing a good crop. This week, the lessons call us to listen. We are to listen to how we can walk in God’s way, how to listen to the Spirit in order to live into our adoption as God’s children, and we are to listen to Jesus explain that good and bad seed exists together. The Psalmist tells us that as we listen, we are taught and learn that our God is great and gracious and loving.

Isaiah (44:6-8) begins by speaking God’s own prophecy, thus says the Lord…I am the first and I am the last; besides me there is no god…Do not fear, or be afraid; have I not told you from of old and declared it? You are my witnesses! God declares that we are witnesses of all the mighty deeds of God. There is only God who acts and will continue to act for the people.

Who are the people of God? In the Hebrew Testament, the Chosen are the Children of Israel—the Hebrews. In the New Testament, the definition is expanded to include everyone. The Letter to the Romans (8:12-25) makes this very clear. We are asked to listen to the truth that all who are led by the Spirit of God are children of God. For you did not receive a spirit of slavery to fall back into fear, but you have received a spirit of adoption. When we cry, “Abba! Father!” it is that very Spirit bearing witness with our spirit that we are children of God, and if children, then heirs, heirs of God and joint heirs with Christ.

The entire world is beloved of God, chosen and adopted. That does not mean everything is perfect. The author of Romans notes, we know that the whole creation has been groaning in labor pains until now; and not only the creation, but we ourselves, who have the first fruits of the Spirit, groan inwardly while we wait…with patience. The world is not perfect by any means, but we have the promise that we are joint heirs with Christ.

In the Gospel (Matthew 13:24-30, 36-43) we hear the slightly confusing parable of the wheat and weeds. Jesus emphasizes that bad things can happen. Even though the farmer sowed good seed, he discovered when the plants came up and bore grain, then the weeds appeared as well. Rather than risking uprooting the good crop, the farmer tells his servants, let both of them grow together until the harvest; and at harvest time I will tell the reapers, Collect the weeds first and bind them in bundles to be burned, but gather the wheat into my barn.

Jesus further explains the parable to his disciples. This is something he rarely does. He tells them, the one who sows the good seed is the Son of Man; the field is the world, and the good seed are the children of the kingdom; the weeds are the children of the evil one, and the enemy who sowed them is the devil; the harvest is the end of the age, and the reapers are angels. He ends his instruction with the instruction, let anyone with ears listen!

 

Sometimes we don’t listen to what God is saying. God speaks through scripture, through music and the written word, through friends, in nature, and so many other ways. We may limit ourselves when we just read ‘Christian’ books or listen to ‘Christian’ music or forget that God is in all creation. With the Psalmist we can pray to be more open and aware. Verse 11 prays, Teach me your way, O Lord, and I will walk in your truth; knit my heart to you that I may fear your Name.

Being an adopted child of God means we can listen to God’s voice in all the many ways God speaks. Although proud men have come up against me, we can believe as the New Life Version says, our God is, full of love and pity. You are slow to anger and rich in loving-kindness and truth.  

Being adopted into the Family of God gives us the ability to listen to God and respond in love even when life isn’t perfect. Thanks be to God.

Where do you find it easiest to listen to God?

Can you hear God even when things aren’t going smoothly?

Psalm 86:11-17

11 Teach me your way, O Lord, and I will walk in your truth; knit my heart to you that I may fear your Name.
12 I will thank you, O Lord my God, with all my heart, and glorify your Name for evermore.
13 For great is your love toward me; you have delivered me from the nethermost Pit.
14 The arrogant rise up against me, O God, and a band of violent men seeks my life; they have not set you before their eyes.
15 But you, O Lord, are gracious and full of compassion, slow to anger, and full of kindness and truth.
16 Turn to me and have mercy upon me; give your strength to your servant; and save the child of your handmaid.
17 Show me a sign of your favor, so that those who hate me may see it and be ashamed; because you, O Lord, have helped me and comforted me.

(Book of Common Prayer)

 

Teach me Your way, O Lord. I will walk in Your truth. May my heart fear Your name.
O Lord my God, I will give thanks to You with all my heart. I will bring honor to Your name forever.
For Your loving-kindness toward me is great. And You have saved my soul from the bottom of the grave.
O God, proud men have come up against me. A group of fighting men want to take my life. And they do not think of You.
But You, O Lord, are a God full of love and pity. You are slow to anger and rich in loving-kindness and truth.
Turn to me, and show me loving-kindness. Give Your strength to Your servant. And save the son of your woman servant.
Give me something special to see of Your favor. Then those who hate me may see it and be ashamed. Because You, O Lord, have helped me and comforted me.

(New Life Version)