May 2, 2021

Joseph of Arimathea and Thomas

 During the 50 Days of Easter, my blog will be musings by Joseph of Arimathea on the amazing happenings of the time between Easter and Pentecost--between the Resurrection and the Coming of the Holy Spirit on the disciples. Enter with me into this imagined series of recollections by Joseph. (The image today is The Incredulity of Saint Thomas by Carvaggio, c. 1602.) 

 

I spent the next day pondering the stories of appearances by a risen Jesus of Nazareth. There was what I had thought was the drunken ravings of the guards on that first day, then Salome’s confused explanation. I remembered the look on the face of Mary of Magdala as she told me of her encounter. There was also the stranger who met Cleopas on the road to Emmaus and the man on the seashore in Galilee. All who met this man were certain he was Jesus of Nazareth, the same man I had laid in my tomb. And there was the evidence of the empty tomb and discarded burial wrappings which I had seen myself and brought to my home. More than once since the first day, I had looked at the linen wrappings hoping to find some new insight.     

I couldn’t bring myself to attend the Sanhedrin meeting called to discuss those same rumors about Jesus being alive. I learned that the Council had bribed the guards I met. They were instructed to spread the lie that Jesus’ disciples stole the body. Nicodemus told me that it had taken a concerted effort by Annas and Caiphas to propitiate Pilate when he heard about the empty tomb. I wondered what they had said and done to retain the fragile balance of power between our religious leaders and the Roman overlords.

“If Jesus of Nazareth has been raised,” I told Nicodemus, “It means that there is a new order in the world. Things cannot be as they were before.”

My friend nodded and gave a wry smile. “It would be like Jesus told me when I met him years ago. He said we must be ‘born from above.’ I still don’t know quite what that means. Jesus said it was like the wind that blows, and we don’t really understand it. It’s something known and yet new and unknown at the same time. Jesus told me, ‘as Moses lifted up the serpent in the wilderness, so must the Son of Man be lifted up, that whoever believes in him may have eternal life.’ I knew he was aligning himself with Messiah of the prophets. Was he also telling me that his death by crucifixion would bring about a new world order?”

“A new world order where the Kingdom of God is supreme,” I mused. “That does seem to be what the man taught and modeled, isn’t it?”

My conversations with Nicodemus always left me with more questions than answers. I visited the disciples daily, hoping for some clarity or some kind of answer. I became more and more certain that they were not lying about what they experienced. One of them, Thomas, remained aloof from his friends. Like me, he had not had any experience with Jesus. I knew he felt left out.

“Why do you keep coming here?” he confronted me the day before the Sabbath. “A week ago Jesus of Nazareth died. You know that. You laid the body in your tomb. Do you believe the crazy stories of the women and others who claim to have seen him alive again?”

“Thomas, I don’t know what to think,” I admitted. “I want to believe it could be true. I want to believe that God is bigger than death itself. I want to know the truth.”

The man nodded sadly. His shoulders slumped. “I would give anything to have it all be true. To have Jesus back among us. To have none of this to have happened. I wish the last few weeks had never happened. I wish we had not left Galilee, not gone to the home of Lazarus, not come to Jerusalem. I want things to be like they were before.”

“Yes,” I nodded. “The world has been changed by the events of the past week. Whether he is alive or not, the miscarriage of justice and collusion of our own leaders with the Romans has shown that we have slipped far from the faith of Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob. If it is true…” I took a deep breath. “Then something never before known has happened, and only God can do that.”

I stayed at my home on the Sabbath. It is not proper to leave your home on the holy day. When I arrived at the room the next day, Thomas grabbed my arm.

“I have seen him! It is true!” The ring in his voice convinced me before he began to explain.

“We were here, as always. The doors were locked, as always. Then, Jesus was in the room with us. His greeting was like always, ‘Peace be with you.’ I knew it was Jesus.”  

Thomas inhaled and closed his eyes, remembering what happened next. “He came straight to me. ‘Put your finger here, see my hands. Reach out your hand and put it in my side.’ Jesus smiled at me, ‘Do not doubt, but believe.’ I fell to my knees exclaiming, ‘My Lord and my God.’ I can still feel his hand on my head in a type of blessing. ‘Have you believed because you see me? Blessed are those who don’t see and yet come to believe.’ It was not like he was scolding me. It was more a promise for anyone who doesn’t have the experience I had.”


“Someone like me!” My heart began to thud and I felt blood rush to my face. It was as if the words were spoken directly to me.

Thomas nodded and smiled. “It is a promise for everyone.”

 “Blessed are those who don’t see and come to believe,” I repeated the words again and again. With every word I was more certain that everything these men and women had said was true. Jesus of Nazareth, who I buried, had indeed been raised. It could only be the power of God doing a new thing. It could only mean that something new had come to pass. There was a new world. One that no one could have imagined a week earlier.

“My Lord and my God,” I breathed Thomas’ affirmation as I slid to my knees in homage to the Holy One of Israel. “Truly God has restored all creation. The Kingdom of God has come near."