April 25, 2021

Joseph of Arimathea and Peter

 During the 50 Days of Easter, my blog will be musings by Joseph of Arimathea on the amazing happenings of the time between Easter and Pentecost--between the Resurrection and the Coming of the Holy Spirit on the disciples. Enter with me into this imagined series of recollections by Joseph. (The image today is from a post on the Episcopal CafĂ©.)

 As they had announced, Peter, James, John and four other disciples headed to Galilee the next day just as I arrived at the upper room.

“We will go fishing.” I heard them tell the women. “It’s what we’ve always done when things are unsettled.”

Mary of Magdala smiled. “Perhaps Jesus will meet you there.”

Her words were prophetic. When the men returned only a couple of days later, they were bursting with news. Mary sent for me when they arrived so I could hear their report.

“Thank you for inviting me,” I gave a slight bow to the group.

Peter nodded. “It is right that you should be part of those who know the truth. You stood with the women when it mattered most.” He looked a little ashamed of his own actions during the days less than a week earlier.

“What happened in Galilee?” Salome asked the question on all our minds.

“We were fishing, just as we said we would,” John began.

“And there was nothing to be caught,” James interrupted. “It was very discouraging. We pulled in the nets and turned toward shore. There was someone walking along the seaside. He called to us, ‘Have you caught anything?’”

John took up the story. “It seemed like an odd question and even rude, but Peter called back, ‘Nothing.’ Then this man said, ‘cast your nets on the other side.’ The phrase sounded vaguely familiar, but I couldn’t place it at first. Peter said, ‘may as well try.’ We threw out the nets and the next thing you know they were filled. Then I knew why the words sounded familiar. ‘It is the Lord,’ I said to James and Peter. ‘He said the same thing years ago, remember?’ Then Peter dived into the water and swam to shore. James and I dragged in the full net. It was hard work and Peter waded out to help us drag in the net. There were 153 fish.”

James took up the story. “Jesus said, ‘Bring some of those fish you caught.’ We didn’t need them, though. There was already fish roasting on a fire. We ate breakfast with him.”

I caught my breath. A great longing surged through me. These men had an experience I would never have. They had been reunited with the one they loved most in the world. It seemed impossible, but there was no reason for these men and women to lie. The visits by this Jesus were not something that someone could make up.   

Peter took a deep breath. Haltingly he began. “I wanted to apologize for failing Jesus…I couldn’t find the words…After breakfast Jesus spoke to me.”

There was a long pause. Then the big man resumed, “Jesus asked me an odd question. ‘Simon, son of Jonah, do you love me, do you desire me more than anything?’ My answer was hesitant, ‘Yes, Lord, you know I love you as a friend.’ He smiled at me, although I knew my response wasn’t whole-hearted. ‘Feed my lambs,’ he said.”

“That is an odd thing,” I heard my voice interrupt.

“Yes,” John nodded. “We thought so too. We think it means to take care of the littlest and least.”

Peter continued as if we hadn’t spoken. “Again, Jesus said, ‘Simon, son of Jonah, do you love, esteem, and care for me?’ My response was the same, ‘Yes, Lord, you know I am your friend.’ This time he said, ‘Tend my sheep.’ I felt that was an order to care for all these friends who followed him.”

The man looked around at all of us. “For a third time, he asked the same question, but phrased it differently. He asked, ‘Simon, son of John, are you my friend?’ My response was impatient. ‘You know everything. You know I am your friend!’ Then he repeated, ‘Feed my sheep.’ Then he told me that when I’m old I will be bound and taken ‘where I don’t want to go’. I didn’t want to hear that and tried to divert the conversation by asking about John.”

John grinned boyishly. I often forgot how much younger this man was than most of the disciples.

“Jesus’ response was to tell Peter to mind his own business,” he chuckled.

My mind was spinning. It was too much to take in. Jesus, this strange risen figure, seemed to have given Peter special consideration and to have forgiven his failings. My heart yearned to have a relationship with these men and even more importantly with the one they called Lord.