February 9, 2020

Epiphany: Boaz


During the Season of Epiphany, we have been hearing from the various characters in the Book of Ruth. The family of Elimelech of Ephrath (Bethlehem) traveled to Moab during a famine. They took with them their faith in the God of Israel. They influenced those they met in Moab, including the women who married the sons of Elimelech and Naomi. When all the men died, the women were confronted with a dilemma. Naomi and Ruth traveled back to the Land of Israel where they hoped to find a refuge. Today we meet Boaz of Bethlehem. He is a central figure in the Book of Ruth because of his compassion and love for a foreign widow.

The image of Boaz was found online.  
Boaz speaks:

Bethlehem is my home. I grew up here. My father is a leader and my mother is well known. Let me give you a short family history, so you can understand why my family is honored.

Over 400 years ago, the place now called Beyt-Lehem (Bethlehem as we are starting to call it) was known as Ephrath. It is where Rachel, beloved wife of the patriarch Jacob died after giving birth to her second son, Benjamin. Rachel’s older son, Joseph, was betrayed by his brothers and sold as a slave to Egypt. Through the action of the Living God, he rose to leadership under Pharaoh. His wisdom helped the people of Egypt survive a wide-spread famine. Foreigners, like Jacob and his sons, came to Egypt for food. Joseph provided a home in Goshen for his family. Even after the famine ended the family of Jacob remained. The Holy God had given the name of Israel to Jacob and so all the descendants were called ‘Children of Israel’. For 400 years, the fortunes of this group grew worse and worse and Pharaohs forgot the wisdom and administration of Joseph. The Children of Israel became slaves and were derisively called Hebrew by the taskmasters. They prayed for help.

Finally, a son was born to the family of Amram and Jochabed, descended from Israel’s son Levi. The infant was cast adrift on the Nile River and rescued by the daughter of Pharaoh. He grew up as a prince named Moses. Later, he fled to Midian after killing a man while defending one of Hebrew slaves. After spending 40 years as a shepherd in Midian, Moses returned and by a series of miraculous signs, he convinced Pharaoh to let the Children of Israel leave Egypt. When Pharaoh changed his mind, he and his army drowned in the sea.

Then for 40 more years, the refugees wandered in the desert between Egypt and Canaan. The One God was testing and teaching the people. My father, Salmon, was among those born during that Exodus time. He was a young man when Moses died, and Joshua assumed leadership. The people were poised to enter Canaan. Joshua sent a couple of spies to the city of Jericho. My father was one of them. He met a woman of the city, named Rahab, who helped them by hiding the spies when the soldiers of Jericho were looking for them. Because of that, she and her family were saved when the Children of Israel attacked and razed the city.

After that each tribe was given land to settle. My father Salmon married Rahab, and I was born after they settled here in the hill country of Judah. My father has many fields, and the family is respected.

Not long ago, the widow Naomi returned to Bethlehem. I remembered her. As a boy her sons Mahlon and Chilion were part of the group that hung out with me. At the time, I felt important to have so many others admiring me and copying what I did. Now I know leadership is caring for those around you and not about being important. My mother taught me that.

Recently, I learned that the widow of Mahlon was gleaning in my fields so that she could have food for Naomi. The story of how Ruth refused to leave her mother-in-law and traveled with her from Moab to Bethlehem is well known. The young woman is modest and rather pretty. I told her to stay in my fields with my workers. She doesn’t know it, but I told the workers to leave extra grain for her to gather.

Last night was the first night of the threshing. All the men sleep at the threshing floor so we can start work early in the morning. I was startled to discover Ruth asleep at my side in the middle of the night. She asked for my protection. I was impressed by her courage, and by her choosing me instead of a younger man.

“I will do as you ask,” I told the woman. “Take this grain to Naomi as a sign of my intentions. Now, leave before others know that a woman has come to the threshing floor. I will see to this matter in the morning.”

Now I am heading to the city gate where all business happens. I have a cousin who could have a closer right to act the Leverite as set forth in the Law of Moses. He could marry Ruth and so gain Elimelech’s land and bear children to have Mahlon’s name. He is already wed, so I doubt that he will, but I must ask him.

I really do want to marry Ruth of Moab. She is a strong, courageous, and beautiful woman who will bear me many sons.



Boaz says he learned that leadership isn’t numbers of followers, but compassion and justice. Do you agree?

Imagine yourself as Boaz when he discovers Ruth lying near him at the threshing floor.



© Cynthia Davis 2020