January 26, 2020

Epiphany: Orpah


So far in our Epiphany study of the Book of Ruth, we have met Elimelech and his sons, Mahlon and Chilion. Today we meet the bride of Chilion-Orpah. The image shows a young Middle Eastern woman spinning, a common task for women.
Here is Orpah’s story:

My name is Orpah. It means ‘fawn’ and I guess that is appropriate because I always had long legs and a longer than normal neck. I was a clumsy child, but by the time I was old enough to be wed, I had learned to not trip over everything. I was never as graceful as many other women in my village in Moab, but I knew how to carry myself proudly and walk tall.

My father was eager to see me married. The men in town remembered my clumsiness as a child and joked that any child of mine would also be gangly and clumsy. A few said other, coarser things about my long legs that brought tears to my eyes. I wasn’t supposed to hear them, but I have sharp ears.

When the Hebrew farmer Elimelech settled in our area, with his two sons, it was the perfect opportunity to find me a husband. My father made a contract with Elimelech so that I would marry his younger son, Chilion, when he was old enough.

Chilion’s mother, Naomi, was a kind woman. I learned she had lived a difficult life. She was one of the multitudes who had wandered from Egypt through Moab to settle in Canaan. They family returned to Moab because of a famine in Beyt-Lehem where they had made a home.

I was wed to Chilion not long after his father died. My friend Ruth married Mahlon, Chilion’s older brother, at the same time. Naomi was deep in grief and we tried to befriend her. We took over some of the household chores until Naomi was able to put aside her mourning.

Chilion was a kind husband. He was nothing like the men of Moab who seemed to spend a lot of time at various festivals and feasts. We had many gods.
Chilion and his family worshipped the One God who had no real name. There were new customs and ceremonies to learn about this God. Naomi patiently taught Ruth and me how to make the special foods for their feasts. They were different than what I was used to. One was the unleavened bread for the important Passover celebration that memorialized the departure from Egypt.

Even though he participated, I don’t think Chilion was ever as religious as his mother. She had experiences of the actions of the One God that he did not. Sometimes, she would tell us about her childhood during what she called ‘the Exodus’. It was a time of travel and of relying on this strange nameless God for food and direction.

I was fascinated by the stories; but couldn’t really understand how a God who rescued people from slavery would then kill some of them for worshipping a golden calf or complaining about conditions. Naomi insisted that this One God was really good, all powerful, and had created everything. It made me wonder about the stories I had learned about our own pantheon of gods with Baal as the head.

Ultimately, I decided that Baal was like this One God, and our other gods were helpers. It seemed to work, but when tragedy struck, I didn’t know where to look for consolation.

Chilion and Mahlon were both killed by raiders. It was a blow I wasn’t sure Naomi would recover from. She tore her clothing and threw dirt on her head and wailed loudly. Ruth and I huddled with her, offering what comfort we could. The three of us were in a bad position. As widows we had no one to care for us. Anyone could take our property and even abuse us.

I knew my father would take me back, although I also knew he would rather not because he would have to find another husband for me. And I still had a couple sisters at home to marry off.

Gradually Naomi sold her dowry coins so that we could have food. She refused to let me, or Ruth, use our dowries. Several times she urged us to return to our homes. Ruth stubbornly shook her head, as did I.

Then one day, Naomi announced she was returning to Beyt-Lehem, which she always called by the ancient name of Ephrath.

“I’ve arranged with a trader traveling that way. I will travel with him. The people of Ephrath will care for me as a widow because the Law of Moses mandates it. Orpah and Naomi, you have been daughters to me. Now it is time to say good-bye. Return to your families. I have no sons in my body that you might wait for.”

We tearfully argued with her. Finally, I turned away and left her with Ruth. Maybe I just wasn’t brave enough to set off into the unknown. I returned to my father’s house. He will find me another husband, I’m sure. At least I will be cared for by my family. Ruth went with Naomi and I sometimes wonder what happened to them.



Orpah found it hard to reconcile the gods she knew with the One God. How might you explain God to her, or someone who doesn’t know about God?
Orpah was not able to leave the familiar places she knew to journey with Naomi. What might you have done in her place?
© Cynthia Davis 2020